Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't take it. Pain and discomfort right up under the sternum(right below my ribs in the center). Doctors say nothing. But does nothing cause pain. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I had the same central upper GI pain you do and bounced from GI to GI until finally, the 4th GI said 1 year was too long to be in pain. He did an endoscopy. It turns out I had an ulcer and also tested positive for the bacteria, H. Pylori which causes ulcers and gastritis (inflammation of the stomach). I would not settle for the answer your doctor is giving you. Either demand further tests or find a new doctor. Trust what your body is telling you. If you are in pain, there is probably something wrong.Stacey

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally pain means something is wrong. With pain that high if you haven't had an endoscopy you probably should have one.OTOH, functional pain (no organic cause) can be just as painful as disorders where something is wrong. In functional pain something appears to be wrong with the nerves. If you have no nerves you feel no pain. However if a nerve is going off for no reason other than the nerve is mucked off it hurts just as much as the nerve going off for a darn good reason.There are a number of very painful conditions that are because nerves for whatever reason are signalling pain. Shingles, neuropathies from diabetis, a bad back presses on the sciatic nerve, amputees sometimes feel excrutiating pain in limbs that are no longer there, but the nerve that ran to that part is going off.Generally things like antidepressants often treat functional pain well as they make the nerves shut up. The drug can't tell a brain nerve from any other nerve. Mind-body therapies also work well as you learn to tell the nerves to shut up and have the advantage of being a long-term solution (usually its spend a couple of months learning the technique and then you can use it on your own for years).K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
880 Posts
I had the same pain. My doctor thought it was GERD and gave me a list of instructions to follow. She said if that didn't help, she'd do the endoscope and check for H. pylori and ulcers. But I followed the instruction, and the pain now comes maybe once a month, instead of 4-5 times a day, so I haven't had the endoscope yet. I did not believe that such horrible pain could be caused by GERD, but so far I have been managing it well for about a year.Here's what I did. Of course, this won't help if yours isn't caused by GERD, but if you haven't tried these suggestions they might help.Cut out tomatoes, which was the hardest thing, because it was my favorite food. Cut out all citrus. Eat 5-6 small meals a day. Elevate the head of the bed 6 inches. Do not lie down for 3 hours after eating, but if you have to lie down, stay elevated and stay on your right side so your stomach is lower than your esophagus. (This was after being told by doctors for about 15 years, "Well, your stomach produces too much acid. Live with it.")Take an antacid at the mere sign that the pain is on it's way--my favorite is Maalox Quick Disolve Extra Strength. I carry them with me everywhere because if I don't take them within the fist few minutes of the pain, they don't work. Also, eating something with the antacid seems to help me. I have to eat easily digested food like bananas or toast in order for it to help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have had two upper gi's done.nothing showed.I just got new insurance threw my wife, I have to check and see how long I have to wait for the pre-existing condition clause.I have had stomach pain every day since november 1999

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Upper GIs are older technology. I had one also, yet it missed my ulcer. You really should try to get an endoscopy. They go down there with a camera and it's amazing what they can see.Stacey

·
Registered
880 Posts
With the endoscope, they can also do a biopsy which is the best test for H. pylori, and they will be able to best check for any esophagus problems.As for your insurance, your preexisting clause may only be for diagnosed problems. Since you haven't been diagnosed with anything, you might not have to wait.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your not alone, I have had chronic upper/mid ab pains for almost two years...That is my main complaint, just pain...Had the endoscopies done too and they didn't find anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.