Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's a question for you all.My stools for the past 6 months have been yellowish to light tan colored and they also float. They are normal length, thickness, and texture however. Frequency is about once every morning. There is no pain involved and no blood. I have however had an impossible time gaining weight. My gallbladder and other organs via ultrasounds have been checked twice, no problems. Plenty of blood tests show no problems. Celiac sprue tests via blood and biopsy have been all negative. 72 hour fecal fat stool test, done twice claimed no abnormal fat content. I do not eat alot of fiber nor do I have alot of gas. Therefore I ask, what the hell is this? LOLdeej

G

·
Floating stools are almost always from the amount of gas mixed in the stool. Even if you don't fart excessively there may be more gas in the stool than usual.Stool color is pretty much a function of what you eat, from yellow/light tan to dark brown and green are all normal colors, so I don't know what to tell you as to why your stool color changed. Has there been a change in diet? If it were a bile issue you could be yellower or greener, but you would be complaining of diarrhea that burns like heck on the way out, not having otherwise normal stools.Have you checked the calories you are eating vs the activity level? www.practicalweightloss.com has calculators so you can see how many calories you need to maintain weight and you can check to see if you are in the right range in eating for your activity level.I assume for fecal fat they put you on a high fat diet for the duration and you followed that? I do not think this test has major failure problems, but they do usually have you eat a diet that should cause the test to be positive if there is any problem at all.What happens if you drink 1 can of Ensure with each meal (eating everything you usually eat) and one additional can at bedtime (so 4 cans a day) for 2-3 weeks? Some people just have a faster metabolism than usual (I assume they tested you for diabetses, blood glucose, and thyroid issues as well as everything else in the blood tests). Some who are just that way have found that adding 4 cans of Ensure a day usually adds enough calories to their usualy diet to increase weight.K.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the reply.In response to yours. If the stools mark up the bowl very easily and often, doesnt that indicate fat? This is what I have read and have been told in addition to the floating and the visual of oil slick or haze on top of the water. Also I do not really have any gas so would there still be alot of gas in my stool ALL the time to make each and every stool I have float day after day?I have checked my calorie intake and it is normal and about 100-200 above my weight, so that is ok I suppose. Unfortunately I cannot have milk products so ensure is out of the question for me.What would a stool look like if it lacked in Bile. Would this be a stool similar to mine?

G

·
It is conventional wisdom that stools float due to fat, but when that theory was tested it was found that it was not true. Just because you do not fart (and I find it hard to believe that you never ever fart) much does not mean that the bacteria in your gut are not producing gas that is being incorporated into the stool.No solid information on how much bile colors the stool, but bile normally ranges in color from yellow to green. However, most of the time the majority of the bile you release is recycled so the normal conditions would be little or no bile in the stool, so I don't suspect that if your bile stopped altogether (which would probably cause many other symptoms other than light stools) it would radically change the color of your stool. What is abnormal is when you either cannot recycle all the bile or you release too much bile (gall bladder removal is the main cause of this) then it ends up in the stool and is very irritating and causes diarrhea.K.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If one were to take acidophilus pills , would that increase or decrease the amount of gas the person would give off.? Also if someone had a Candida issue would thre be more gas than normal?

G

·
Typically if you introduce probiotic bacteria into a person, once the microbial ecology settles down the overall gas production should decrease. Sometimes introducing the new species upsets the ecology in a way to produce a usually temporary increase in gas.I would only be concerned about Candida in your colon if you recently got off antibiotics, as it is normally outcompeted by bacteria (that on their own depending on species make plenty of gas) in the ecology of the gut.You do not have the other symptoms seen in people who have Candida after antibiotics.see the following abstract for that list of symptoms.
quote: Clin Infect Dis 1995 Oct;21(4):881-6 Candida-associated diarrhea: a syndrome in search of credibility.Levine J, Dykoski RK, Janoff EN.Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417, USA.Candida species have been often considered but infrequently documented as a credible cause of diarrhea. Evaluations of the colon in patients who have diarrhea and for whom Candida organisms have been isolated from stool have not shown invasive fungal lesions, and the mechanisms by which Candida species may induce diarrhea remain undefined. However, symptoms ascribed to Candida-associated diarrhea in the literature include prolonged secretory diarrhea with abdominal pain and cramping but without blood, mucus, fever, nausea, or vomiting. A critical review literature review showed a strong between the abatement of diarrheal symptoms in patients for whom a significant growth of Candida was found in their stools and treatment with specific topical antifungal agents. Most of the patients had received antibacterial therapy before the onset of symptoms. On the basis of these data, we conclude that Candida species may cause diarrhea in selective clinical settings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have made a great discovery...What I had done to try to rule out the only two issues I had researched that could cause this floating,bad smelling, light colored stools issue was either FAT malabsorbing and or celiac sprue...So for 5 days I cut out all fatty foods I had previously eaten AND all wheat and gluten containing products...Well I am happy and surprised to say that today and yesterday my stools, for the FIRST time in 6 months, did not float, smell abnormally awful, or have a very light color...Now the question is, which one caused it? Celiac or FAT malabsorption (pancreas?)Any suggestions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.