Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can u take colace on a daily basis. I have been taking only 50mg. a day for awhile to keep my stools soft. I take ONLY the stool softener, not the one with the laxative in it. I was wondering if this would give you low pelvic cramping... such like premenstrual cramping?

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
I've taken 100 mg of colace--right, no laxative added--daily for at least ten years. i use the generic form or "house brand" b/c it's cheaper--not the brand name stuff. and I read lots about it before I started taking it daily like that and it seems to be safe as long as it's not the kind with laxatives in it. i've never had any problems with cramping or anything else b/c of it although i've found if i take 200 mg i feel kinda queasy the next day.

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
oh no--no diarrhea or muliple bm's (although i wish--better for me than c or incomplete evacuation) it just softens things up--it's not a stimulant. i've gone off it from time to time and never felt like i'd been addicted to it or needed it to go. i always try to drink lots of water but it's hard to do that when i'm working b/c of my work situation (no water allowed at the work station) so taking the softners (and milk of mag too) helps. i find i usually go better (more complete) when my stools are on the watery side.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh Dear, I'm worried I'm taking too many stool softeners. I take 200mg in the AM & 200mg in the PM. I've been doing this for over a month. I've also added 6mg of zelnorm in the AM & PM and I'm finally getting a pretty good result. Does anyone else take this much?Julie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.