Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
see my comments re prune juice.just to reiterate my daughter as a toddler was prescribed Lactulose as a stool softener (UK Name don't know what the US equivalent would be but it is basically a sugar and water solution that is not absorbed by the body)she was on a very large dose for a long time and friends (medical and not) were horrified. However the Doctors constantly reassured me that it was safe and she would not become dependant on it - remember though this was simply a stool softener, I am not sure the same applies to stimulants like Senna. She was able to come off it and we have no problems now. The only thing is because of her age and the volume she was taking I gave it to her in her bottles, she does not have good teeth - maybe this was a problem caused by lactulose. If it was it is certainly the only one we are aware of. Hope this helps.

· Registered
173 Posts
see my comments re prune juice.just to reiterate my daughter as a toddler was prescribed Lactulose as a stool softener (UK Name don't know what the US equivalent would be but it is basically a sugar and water solution that is not absorbed by the body)she was on a very large dose for a long time and friends (medical and not) were horrified. However the Doctors constantly reassured me that it was safe and she would not become dependant on it - remember though this was simply a stool softener, I am not sure the same applies to stimulants like Senna. She was able to come off it and we have no problems now. The only thing is because of her age and the volume she was taking I gave it to her in her bottles, she does not have good teeth - maybe this was a problem caused by lactulose. If it was it is certainly the only one we are aware of. Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.