Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is never good to strain when you can't go to the bathroom. In my case, not only is it ineffective, but it causes sickening nausea (almost to the point of vomiting) and chest pain.However, I must resort to literally "pushing" things through with my fist. I often use a tight fist and punch my abdomen from my right-hand side to my left, then from the middle down. Sometimes, I actally punch near my backbone!This does not ever cause abdominal pain, although it does use up a good bit of my strength and energy. It actually makes my fist more sore than my abdomen. That just shows how dead all my nerves are down there. It's just a hard, bloated mass that feels like it could dodge a bullet.Anyway, can someone tell me if this is bad? It doesn't hurt (other than wearing out my strength), but it is the ONLY way I can ever expel gas or go to the bathroom.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
A, a massage technique for IBS connstipation can be to massage your gut in a clockwise motion9The way food would normally be pushed out of you) for about five minutes. This may help more then punching yourself in the gut. If you happen to know anyone who does massage ask them about this technique. The heat from your hand also helps as you do this.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
A, a massage technique for IBS connstipation can be to massage your gut in a clockwise motion9The way food would normally be pushed out of you) for about five minutes. This may help more then punching yourself in the gut. If you happen to know anyone who does massage ask them about this technique. The heat from your hand also helps as you do this.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey AD. What you describe sounds awful. I know you take MOM every night so it isn't hard stool which is keeping you from evacuating. We are very similar in that our colons are almost totally dead. According to my GI doctor, I have virtually no perstalsis or contractility left. I do have a suggestion. Have you tried a dulcolax suppository? The bisacodyl in them works directly on the colonic mucosa (the walls of the colon) to produce strong perstaltic contractions. They work in about 15 minutes to an hour and stimulate hard contractions of the lower half of the colon. I would think those might be useful for you. I don't use them very often because I find that an enema is more effective for me in stimulating a bowel movement. I have used them when I didn't have access to an enema, like when travelling and have found that they do work. Feel free to e-mail me if you want to talk. I can always use the support.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey AD. What you describe sounds awful. I know you take MOM every night so it isn't hard stool which is keeping you from evacuating. We are very similar in that our colons are almost totally dead. According to my GI doctor, I have virtually no perstalsis or contractility left. I do have a suggestion. Have you tried a dulcolax suppository? The bisacodyl in them works directly on the colonic mucosa (the walls of the colon) to produce strong perstaltic contractions. They work in about 15 minutes to an hour and stimulate hard contractions of the lower half of the colon. I would think those might be useful for you. I don't use them very often because I find that an enema is more effective for me in stimulating a bowel movement. I have used them when I didn't have access to an enema, like when travelling and have found that they do work. Feel free to e-mail me if you want to talk. I can always use the support.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hi Ad: interesting you mention this; I used to take MOM daily x 10 years and I had to beat on my stomach to get it to move, at least to begin with. I now take it once every two weeks to once a month; but in order to get it started I push in on my abdomen pretty hard ( I gave up on punching my abdomen, it seemed like abuse); I push particularly on the ascending colon on the right side and massage over the transverse colon to the left side and descending colon. If I don't do this I really am not sure it would work very well, if at all.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hi Ad: interesting you mention this; I used to take MOM daily x 10 years and I had to beat on my stomach to get it to move, at least to begin with. I now take it once every two weeks to once a month; but in order to get it started I push in on my abdomen pretty hard ( I gave up on punching my abdomen, it seemed like abuse); I push particularly on the ascending colon on the right side and massage over the transverse colon to the left side and descending colon. If I don't do this I really am not sure it would work very well, if at all.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds a lot worse than it actually feels. Perhaps "punching" is not an accurate description. I just slowly push in as far as my fist will go using pressure more than force. "Squeezing" is a far more accurate term. It's like I'm trying to get all the air out of a Ziploc baggie. I've tried those suppositories (I always call them "wax pellets" since that is what they pretty much looked and felt like.) Anyway, they seem to make matters worse. Even with Vaseline, they always give me an intense burning sensation . If I do go to the bathroom, it feels more intense like nails in my skin. If that isn't enough, it only seems to stimulate the extreme end of my colon, maybe only a few inches. It doesn't really help. The problem feels as though it is a bit higher up.Bisacodyl is the only stimulant I have ever taken in my entire life, and I would hate to get hooked on it when it would likely cause more "nerve deadening."Thanks for the replies. I have tried heating pads which just seem to create more numbness. However, heating pads and heaters totally eliminate my "fight or flight" response to anxiety.I think I am pushing the same direction as Cigarello. I'm going from the ascending area to the descending. One question though-when referring to "right,," "left, "clockwise," etc., does this directon apply to myself (as in "right-handed") or to a person facing me?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds a lot worse than it actually feels. Perhaps "punching" is not an accurate description. I just slowly push in as far as my fist will go using pressure more than force. "Squeezing" is a far more accurate term. It's like I'm trying to get all the air out of a Ziploc baggie. I've tried those suppositories (I always call them "wax pellets" since that is what they pretty much looked and felt like.) Anyway, they seem to make matters worse. Even with Vaseline, they always give me an intense burning sensation . If I do go to the bathroom, it feels more intense like nails in my skin. If that isn't enough, it only seems to stimulate the extreme end of my colon, maybe only a few inches. It doesn't really help. The problem feels as though it is a bit higher up.Bisacodyl is the only stimulant I have ever taken in my entire life, and I would hate to get hooked on it when it would likely cause more "nerve deadening."Thanks for the replies. I have tried heating pads which just seem to create more numbness. However, heating pads and heaters totally eliminate my "fight or flight" response to anxiety.I think I am pushing the same direction as Cigarello. I'm going from the ascending area to the descending. One question though-when referring to "right,," "left, "clockwise," etc., does this directon apply to myself (as in "right-handed") or to a person facing me?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ad: very good descrption: like a Ziploc bag full of air; I think that is because MOM is an osmotic laxative and pulls water to the bowel which kind of blows it up full of water; if you push you can hear the squishing sounds because it is so full of water. anyway, when I say right, I mean on my right side which is the ascending colon to my left side , which is the descending colon; I have tried Glycerin supp and they don't work anymore; the only thing I can count on to work is MOM. Good luck

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ad: very good descrption: like a Ziploc bag full of air; I think that is because MOM is an osmotic laxative and pulls water to the bowel which kind of blows it up full of water; if you push you can hear the squishing sounds because it is so full of water. anyway, when I say right, I mean on my right side which is the ascending colon to my left side , which is the descending colon; I have tried Glycerin supp and they don't work anymore; the only thing I can count on to work is MOM. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.