Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just had a strange BM. I felt I had to go but wasn't urgent. When I went and pushed it came out soft and continuous. Then looked in the toilet it it was shaped like a long rope, perfectly round about half inch and it kind of coiled into the bottom of the toilet. Very weird. It was a normal medium brown color and I didn't see anything strange in it. any ideas ?? i think I better go and get a stool culture done and look for ova and parasites.Sometimes my bms come out in pieces that are about 2 to 3 inches long, they aren't round but are thin. I always freak myself out. this IBS consumes me !!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The thing with IBS/SIBO etc. is that you can never predict.Many times I go for a BM. It doesn't seem urgent, and then I will have something like you have described.I will then feel really rough afterwards and like I still need to go. I end up wishing I had never gone.
Ain't it the truth? God, can I ever relate to this! There are some days where I feel GREAT, and then as soon as I try to use the bathroom I end up completely regretting it, because it ruins the rest of my day... It's the worst. Anyway, back on topic. OP: Are you typically IBS-C or IBS-D, or do you alternate between the two? Your stool description sounds familiar to me. That is, occasionally I'll experience something similar. The remedy for me has always been an increase in dietary fibre, such as Metamucil. It bulks up my stool and makes it easier and more comfortable to pass. I would recommend trying this if you haven't already, because I've had a multitude of expensive stool cultures and they always come back negative... I mean, to be honest, I'd say if you have been diagnosed with IBS you definitely do not have parasites, because that's one of the first things they look for in the evaluation process.I could be wrong though. If you're really concerned about it, talking to your doctor is never a bad idea. Never underestimate peace of mind! I hope you are able to find some relief. Good luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds like maybe a Type 4 according to the Bristol Stool Form/Chart/Scale.Linky--> Bristol Stool ChartIt honestly sounds like a fairly healthy and normal variety of a BM. When stools are even a little soft, and long, they tend to coil around on themselves like a rattler. Normal muscle contractions to expel the stool and the round shape of the bowl also contribute to the 'coiling'. Nothing at all in your description would cause me concern, I'd likely see it as a good thing.If you still feel that you want to go forward with a stool test, make sure to get the 3-Day collection type. If you do have any nasties, the 3-Day collection type of test will be more likely to detect it. The one-shot tests can easily miss it, or maybe you just aren't shedding any nasties that particular day.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, I live in Canada so my medical is paid monthly so for me to go in and get it tested won't cost me any more than I already pay. Secondly, I never had a stool test done for parasites or culture before. I was told to do it but then never went through with it so it would be a good idea to have it done.I totally know what you mean by having a bowel movement how it wrecks the rest of your day...feeling better before having it. I am so tired and exhausted about thinking about poop all day !! I would love to think about something else for a change. But I feel so obsessed about researching and reading about it and trying to figure out something that will help me. It is very tiring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.