Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I posted here a few months ago that I was having some strange symptoms. Basically they got better for a month or so, and now they seem to be back. I'm wondering if anyone has these symptoms with their IBS, or if I'm just going nuts. Here's what's been going on, hopefully someone has some answers. Basically all winter my allergies have been kinda terrible. On and off, basically stuff running down my throat for months now. About three weeks ago I got a sinus infection/head cold and went to the doctor. Keep in mind that the symptoms I'm having weren't all that bad for awhile before this. Anyway, my doctor gave me some antibiotics and sent me on my way. I took the antibiotics and got better, now all I'm having is allergy trouble again with the sinuses etc. About a week after I stopped the antibiotic I noticed digestive system changes again. I have an occasional gurgling/rumbling feeling throughout my abdomen and even into my back or above my hips. Nothing really painful, no cramping or anything just discomfort. I also noticed that my stools are very soft and don't stay together all that well, and kinda fall apart in the toilet. I don't really have diarrhea, but sometimes it feels like it. I also have occasional bloating and gas. I also kinda have some occasional mucus, and stickiness around my anus after going to the bathroom. All of this seemed to start flaring up again after the antibiotic/cold episode. So I guess I have two questions. Do all of these symptoms sound like IBS? And can IBS get triggered by colds/allergies and antibiotic use, even after a week or so of not taking them?Any answers/help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Antibiotics often screw with your digestion as they kill some of the gut bacteria depending upon the type of antibiotic. Antibiotics usually kill either the anerobic or aerobic bacteria but usually not both. And yes, it takes a while for the antibiotic levels to subside, so a week afterwards, you can still have antibiotics active in your system. It's always a good idea to supplement with probiotics after a course of antibiotics.I don't believe that a small amount of noticeable mucus is that unusual as this may point to minor irritation. I have it at times and it doesn't seem to signify anything. A large amount is a different matter. I would probably worry about your respiratory system mucous, not because it points to some major problem but because, as long as you have it, you are prone to infections and may end up needing more anti-biotics, causing more digestive upsets and so on. I can't tell you what to do about that though.

·
Registered
312 Posts
mucus coming out of the anus is not unusual i used to have that alot before i changed the way i ate. but it was soo disgusting and mind depressing that i just keept ignoreing it but last time i got it was when i ate some whipping cream and a starch.. i ate beans and carrots and some whipping cream and i got it againyou can try not eating any starchs or dairy at all (cheese is still good sept no cottage or ricotta cheese) and see how much that helps you or you can try this full stratagy at finding problem foods i think it would work really good
http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=120705scroll down till you see the post i made in it

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sounds very much like IBS but probably does need to be checked out by the doctor. A lot of IBSers report more gurgling than they used to have, and discomfort counts for IBS (especially if you have some issues with stool frequency or consistency). Sometimes stool issues are fairly minor, it just depends and a lot of IBSers have more problems with the discomforts.Mucus is a non-specific response by the colon (always makes some but will make more for pretty much anything that bothers it in anyway, including IBS).Everyone's colon does make some noise all the times. The only real diagnostic sound they use is complete silence which comes with an obstruction and usually that requires immediate medical attention.Histamine has a number of roles in the GI tract. One of which is make it release mucus. A lot of people do seem to find that IBS tends to be worse when their allergies are bothering them. Some may be through histamine and other control molecules, but some may be just the physical stress of the allergies and that not breathing easily often disrupts the quality of sleep.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Just some add-on info. I'm 24 and never had a colonoscopy. As for the mucus, it's definitely not a large amount, but just feels like after I go sometimes the area stays slightly sticky for a little while, nothing over the top. Anyone else have any ideas/advice?

·
Registered
311 Posts
the sinus issues r part of it all.........it is an over production of histamine in the stomach, in an attempt to get ur stomach to produce more HCL (hydrochloric acid).........when ur stomach can't produce enough HCl, for whatever reason, the histamine & or gastrin keeps on coming........ thus driving ur sinus nuts........it is also more than likely an over growth of candida.........it loves the sinus', causing an infection.....then the antibiotics killed alot of ur intestinal flora, which has given u all of the symptoms since..........when antibiotics kill intestinal flora, candida grows faster & takes over those sites..........if the D & all keeps up, it can lead to leaky gut........if this happens, then u get candida systemically........this is a very bad thing........do some research on the net........it's all there.......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the reply crstar. definitely don't need any of that to happen. quick question to all, what do you all think is the easiest way to replace the good bacteria. not sure if it's what's causing it, but it's worth a shot i guess. preferably nothing too strong or ridiculous. any suggestions?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
IMHO Probiotics. See the Probiotics Forum for more info.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ok so I have to ask: did your doctor give you anti-fungal medicine along with the antibiotic? Because what happens after taking antibiotics for a few days, sometimes...is that the antibiotics destroy more than the cells they are supposed to destroy and then you get things like funguses...that may ashwell mess up your digestive system. That's the reason a lot of people get diarhea after taking antibiotics. Not necessarily the best diagnoses but taking some anti fungal pills is not such a big trouble

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies again guys. I'll definitely look into probiotics. certainly can't hurt I don't think. Tana- my doctor didn't give me anything with the antibiotic, so I guess it could be from that, but I don't know. I haven't really had diarrhea, as in going all the time, but when I do go it has been noticeably softer, maybe getting a little bulkier as time is passing. Maybe i'll look into the anti-fungal stuff too if this doesn't go away soon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hate to double post, but a new symptom started up tonight that has me quite worried. I basically noticed that I have a little bit of yellow diarrhea going on. I'm guessing that it's due to food moving quickly through everything, but I"m just quite concerned about it. Any suggestions on this?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Jaboop taking antibiotics can be rough on some IBS'ers sometimes. The yellow color could be exactly what you said... things just going through a bit faster than usual. You can always call your Dr and let him/her know what is going on and seek their advice. You could also take a probiotic to try to keep a bacterial balance going. Sometimes the antibiotics can throw one's intestinal bacterial balance askew. So you could try taking a good probiotic. Also that is something you could ask your Dr about. But I find for myself I need to take a probiotic if I am on any antibiotics.Hope you feel better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the yellow diarrhea unless it becomes persistent. Normal looseness tends to be yellow anyway. So get on the probiotics asap.However, crstar is right about the candida possibly causing the sinus infections. It's only recently that medical doctors have considered candida overgrowth in this area but, now that they do, it's found to be a common problem. You should rule this out before considering another course of antibiotics.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. It really helps to know that other people have gone through this stuff in the past and are ok. I tend to worry a lot about things, especially my health, and I'm sure that doesn't help my digestive system. This morning I don't really have diarrhea (meaning that I haven't had to go yet) but the rumbling certainly doesn't help things. I think I may wait a few days and see if the yellowness subsides before I do too much more worrying I guess. Didn't get much sleep last night with all the worrying. Maybe that and all the cold meds I'm trying to get off of.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just wanted to update everyone, and I have a kinda new symptom that's scaring me a bit. Yesterday I felt pretty good, no diarrhea or anything, maybe just a little discomfort. Then this afternoon I noticed that my lower back is rumbling (possibly gas, but I can't tell). Does anyone have this symptom with IBS? My stomach really isn't rumbling at all, just my lower back. I also had a bit of yellowish diarrhea again. Seems like the rumbling is almost always followed by diarrhea. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Okay, I have all of these symptoms... the yellowish loose stools, the rumbling in the lower back/rectal area. Please keep us updated if you ever find out what's wrong, I've been searching for ages but have found nothing more than ibs. My doctor does think it is post-infectious though. The rumbling only lasted a few weeks on and off when I was really bad, it's gone now.You don't happen to get very sharp, gas like pains that work their way through your abdomen do you? Like it feels like indigestion and starts at the top of your stomach and ends up in the lower stomach. No D, just feels like gas pains and then maybe on the night time or next day some D?I get that a lot. I think maybe I still have some kind of infection. I'm going back for more tests in 2 weeks so hopefully I will get some answers soon.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You don't need to have any active infection to experience such pain. IBS-PI is when the nerves are damaged as a result of an infection (that's the theory anyway) so that the receptors don't shut off. That means that you are feeling everything as it travels along the colon although nothing different is happening there. The D can also be from the nerves not producing an even peristalsis and so on. You may still have an infection, of course, but it can be really hard to pick them up. And, of course, the doctors never test for everything it could be. You can try not feeding whatever could be lurking in there as they mostly would be utilizing undigested carbs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the yellowness has subsided for now, as well as the diarrhea. I'm still feeling a little bit of the rumbling, but I don't think it's too much more than usual or is normal. It's so strange that I go through a few days of awfulness followed by a few that aren't so bad. Hopefully it stays away for awhile now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.