Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I posted here a few months ago that I was having some strange symptoms. Basically they got better for a month or so, and now they seem to be back. I'm wondering if anyone has these symptoms with their IBS, or if I'm just going nuts. Here's what's been going on, hopefully someone has some answers. Basically all winter my allergies have been kinda terrible. On and off, basically stuff running down my throat for months now. About three weeks ago I got a sinus infection/head cold and went to the doctor. Keep in mind that the symptoms I'm having weren't all that bad for awhile before this. Anyway, my doctor gave me some antibiotics and sent me on my way. I took the antibiotics and got better, now all I'm having is allergy trouble again with the sinuses etc. About a week after I stopped the antibiotic I noticed digestive system changes again. I have an occasional gurgling/rumbling feeling throughout my abdomen and even into my back or above my hips. Nothing really painful, no cramping or anything just discomfort. I also noticed that my stools are very soft and don't stay together all that well, and kinda fall apart in the toilet. I don't really have diarrhea, but sometimes it feels like it. I also have occasional bloating and gas. I also kinda have some occasional mucus, and stickiness around my anus after going to the bathroom. All of this seemed to start flaring up again after the antibiotic/cold episode. So I guess I have two questions. Do all of these symptoms sound like IBS? And can IBS get triggered by colds/allergies and antibiotic use, even after a week or so of not taking them?Any answers/help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi Jaboop. IBS can be triggered by antibiotics. I was treated for a bacterial vaginosis with a topic antibiotics for 10 days and I got a flare up. Antibiotics can mess up your instestinal flora. Usually, when you have IBS doctors tend to give you antibiotics only if it's necessary or prescribe some probiotics to make sure your flora holds up. As for the symptoms, yeah, it sounds very much like IBS!Take good care!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.