Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 49 year male. I need to know what medication you can take for stress. I am employed in a very stressful job. my work hours are 14 hours a day. I have had EKG and Stress test. Everything came back OK. I have head aches and tired every evening. I try to get 7 hours sleep every night but end up waking up every night. Any suggestion. thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What a great question? I hope this topic gets a lot of feedback. My stress is usually attributed to anxiety so I have been taking a mild anxiety pill called Clonazepam. Maybe a sleeping aid would help you. I hope others have more useful information. -Jess

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Hello - welcome to the board.I take .5mg of Ativan per day. The Rx is written for every 8 hours, but one per day is fine for me. Ativan is an anti-anxiety medication that starts working as soon as you take it will minimal side effects. I can't remember all of the same type meds, but one of them is Xanax.There is also SSRIs (Paxil, Prozac, etc.) they can take up to 2-4 weeks before you feel the effects. They are considered anti-depressants but work well for anxiety, stress and so on. You should talk to your doctor and see what he feels is best. I like what I take because if I don't want to take it one day I don't have too. I usually don't take it on the weekend, only when I am at work. I believe you have to take the other types (SSRIs) on a daily basis - but I am not sure. What you should do is go to www.webmd.com and look up those meds and see the side effects and rest of the information to see which one you would feel comfortable with. They have a complete description of any drug you could possibly think of. Here is a start - look up these.ZoloftAtivanXanaxProzacPaxilThat's a good start - many people on here take many different types, I just can't remember them all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paxil is good for stress and especially anxiety. Actually, when I started on it I was taking 1 a day and after a while I started feeling loopy. I had almost uncontrollable giggling! And although I enjoy giggling all day long it just wasn't appropriate in the middle of a office meeting! So I cut back to 1 every other day and that worked much better. I'm off it now but while I was on it was great.

·
Registered
613 Posts
To help my IBS I made some changes to my lifestyle. I went to a low carb diet (temporarily on Atkins diet) and cut out coffee. I had a big problem with lower back pain, pain in my shoulders, and hips that would make me wake up at night when I turned over. Since I also was having a problem with insomnia, I wasn't getting enough sleep. I started taking a glass of Gatorade twice a day cause I read on the BB that it might help the muscle pain - and it did. I also went to a phsycologist to work out my stressful problems. Result - I am now sleeping better than I have slept in 20 years! I am doing so much better! I realize this sounds hokey but I don't care - it worked for me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.