Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am 25, I have managed to get through TAFE and Uni with bad ibs-d (mostly as a night student) and now arent really sure why i bothered,,, I am unreliable as an employee due to my health, I dont handle stress very well and have no idea what jobs i can even physically handle....I am burning through my savings pretty quickly and am feeling really worried... I just feel trapped, friends are all busy working and getting on with their lives and i dont know what to do. No one gives me a hard time they just think i am lazy and i dont want to explain it, but its frustrating as anything coz the real me is outgoiing but this illness has destroyed that. I am not very social anymore, i am not anything, i dont do anything...... I know there is no easy answer,, but does anyone have ideas of jobs that they are doing and handle okay with their IBS,,,

·
Registered
311 Posts
understand completely & if my husband didn't really love me to death, i'd b in a pretty fix.........1st off have u tried calcium carbonate.........there's a link on this website.........next, have u looked into adrenal fatigue?.......alot of drs don't recognize it, but it does exist...when i am under stress, the adrenals can't keep up & all hell breaks lose........i also take iron, it works wonders......between taking care of my adrenals & the other stuff, allows me to live a more normal life.........there's also a good book about ibs, called: fiber menace.........u can find it on the net.......really good book........

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Just to throw in my two cents, or add something to the list crstar has provided, I have been taking a flavonoid supplement called Provex CV for the past 11 years, and it has returned me from the position you currently describe to a condition pretty close to pre-IBS for the last 10 plus years. I went from a situation of not really being able to complete a good day's work--frequent bm's and really offensive odours in the am and nodding off in the afternoons--to being able to work up to 12 hours a day of office work without undo problems. Over the subsequent 10 years the condition continues to improve such that I pretty well do (and eat) whatever I choose without regard for my digestion or bowels.Mark

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi crstar & Mark,Thanks heaps for the replies i really appreciate it,,, I feel really stuck at the moment, i am currently on calcium caltrate (no magnesium just vitamin D) 3 tablets a day for a couple of days no change so far, I have been on Qestran recently but no improvement,,, have seen a couple of gastro docs, naturapaths, gp's over the years and trialled heaps of meds and suplements, I dont drink alcohol or eat any processed foods, have gone down the elimination diet path etc.. Crstar I hadn't heard of adrenal fatigue though.. is that something they can test for?? like through blood work, also iron helps you?? is that with ibs-d that it helps??? I will also have a look into the fiber menace, i presume the book deals with the soluble and unsoluble fiber types ( I know the definition but dont know which foods are which), Mark just had a quick google for the Provexcv, and some of the responses on the discussion board here, not sure if I completely understand the theory behind it helping ibs-d, its a bit like a multi-vite , with enzymes... also are there any retailers in Oz??I guess in truth i kinda given up on ever getting better i just need to find something to do so i can get by,,,

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
There are linkages between the way blood platelets act in causing cholesterol buildups and the way unrelated platelets act in creating bowel (and presumably) stomach inflammation. The flavonoids in Provex CV have been shown to control the cholesterol related platelet aggregation. The presumption, and what the authors of the following study postulated, is that they operate the same way with the bowel platelets. At least, that explains my recovery, which had remained a mystery up until I found that old study. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...i?artid=1382343If you use Google Scholar and enter the terms Provex CV and Folts you will get some of the clinical findings re platelets.It is available from the manufacturer in Oz. It just seems to me to be something easy enough to try out--and it does come with a 60 day guarantee, if that is of interest.Mark

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Mark,,I will have a read up on it, and prob give it a go,, nothing to lose, and thanks again for info, will let you know how i go..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had to eliminate greens and most spices completely to manage my condition. Taking a daily probiotic along with this diet has allowed me to do a job most with frequent bowel issues would find impossible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts