Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an 18 year old college freshman and I was diagnosed with IBS about 1 month before I left for college. It is so hard being away from home where no one understands how I feel. I feel so embarassed sometimes because I live in a dorm and share a bathroom with several other girls. Maybe it is just my imagination but it seems that everyone else here goes to the bathroom so regularly!! I get such awful diarrhea and stomach cramps that I feel like I am dying. There are so many days when I just want to go home b/c I know that IBS is triggered by stress and I get stressed at school all the time b/c I have no privacy. I cannot seem to figure out what foods cause me to get diarrhea and I have resorted to eating cereal all the time b/c that is one of the few things that does not seem to trigger it. HELP!!------------------Kayla

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You have come to a very warm and wonderful place to get some good old fashioned comfort.You are not in this alone. It has been many years since I was in college, but I sure do remember those days.Keep reading all you can about this IBS. I put the word in "search" and have found so much information out there. Some of it I know is not for me, but I surely have tried more and more of it. It just takes time.You are going to have to find a really good doctor or nutritionist. Have you checked at your school? Maybe there is one right there you can talk to about this.I bet if you talked around, there are more people with this at school than you imagine. They too just have not talked to anyone about it.There are all kinds of meds now. Good ones for stress, you just need to find the one for you.Hang in there. Come back often and talk to everyone. I have met some of the nicest people here. Everyone is so very caring and loving. Jeanette

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear things are not great. College can be extremely stressful. I know exactly how you feel. Everyone else seems normal. For me, I get stressed and have D almost right away. Other times, I have C. Can't remember the last time I had a normal bowel movement! Anyway, this site is definitely great. People talk about everything and you can get a lot of support and advice here. Stress is the worst contributor for quite a few of us. Have you tried Yoga or meditation? Also, certain foods will probably affect you. Keep a journal of what you eat and see how it affect you. Iknow for me, spicy food, beans, lots of veggies, etc. affect me with D. Anyway, hope you'll feel better soon. Please try hard to RELAX! Hugs,,,Mine

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome! I'm sorry to hear about your IBS - must be tough going to college with it. Try to keep your stress down as much as you can, I know that isn't always within your control. Try eating some bland food. Chicken and turkey work well for me. Bananas, pasta, crackers, green beans and potatoes have never upset me. I have to stay away from greasy foods, spicy things, and all milk products. Hang in there, and remember that you are not alone...there are lots of us out there to lend support.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
KaylaGet yourself a bottle of Caltrate Plus in the white and purple box. Take one tablet with each meal and you will feel better. If I can answer any of you questions email me.LindaLNAPE###AOL.COM

·
Registered
414 Posts
Kayla,I don't know how big a dorm you live in, but I lived in a BIG BIG dorm of boy and girls. I often went to the bathroom on another floor where no one knew me and tried to go during a quiet time when no one was around. The lobby of our dorms has a private (one person) bathroom, I frequented that too.I don't know if you are able in your situation..just some ideas. Jill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kayla - I know where you're coming from. My IBS started when I was in grad school about 7 years ago. It's really tough in the dorm/apt situation and also in class when things flare up. Hang in there. IBS takes a lot of trial and error to find a lifestyle that is best for you. There's a lot of good ideas on the BB - you just have to find the one that's right for you.Be sure to take advantage of your school's health center. I had real good luck with mine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kayla, Hugs to you, sweetie! I also have the diarreah with anxiety, and I find that the anxiety goes away when the diarreah does!! Also, you may have to try to call your campus clinic, ASK FOR A NURSE and tell her you need an understanding doctor who can help you deal with IBS. Campus nurses are great about being considerate of students needs. Once you see a doctor, the reassurance you'll get will give you peace of mind. My doctor prescribed "Clindex" (Chloridiazapoxide) which is a mild-mild sedative (helps with the anxiety without making you drowsy or a zombie) and also has an ingredient that slows down the colon. I take Immodium AD Chewables when I feel IBS coming on, and taking TUMS with meals has helped. Some many others on the site have mentioned Calcium helping with (D). Take care...you deserve to enjoy this fun time in your life! Exercise will help too!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Kayla,I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. I am also a college student, and I live in a big dorm with both men and women. We even have co-ed bathrooms which really makes it embarassing with my IBS problems. It's also pretty tough finding food I can eat at the dining hall because everything is so greasy. I am ok with rice, baked potato, cooked vegetables, soup, chicken, and turkey. I eat sandwiches a lot too. If you are only eating cereal, you are going to get yourself sick so please try to eat some other kinds of food and start taking some multivitamins. As Linda mentioned, Caltrate Plus can really help. It sure has helped me so give that a try too.I would advise you not to spend too much time at the campus clinic because most of them have no idea how to deal with IBS. They always just told me I was stressed or that I had the stomach flu and really couldn't help me at all. Look around for a real doctor near campus. Tell the people at the campus clinic that you need a doctor who knows about IBS or that you need a GI doctor, and maybe they can refer you to a doctor in the area. Hang in there Kayla, and I hope you have good friends on campus who can help you through those hard days. I'll be thinking of you.Danielle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Kayla. I've been there. My symptoms too flared up around age 18 when I went away to school. I was convinced it was the cafeteria food so after 2 years of suffering I had BU move me into an on-campus apt due to medical reasons. Cooking for myself helped me to eliminate stuff like onions and tomatoes that give me heartburn, but as for the D, well, that's a continuing saga. While living in the doom I used to run to other floors too to use the bathroom. It's embarrassing. Apartment living will give you more privacy if it's important to you. I miss the social life of the dorms though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you guys for your advice and comfort!! I am soooooooo glad I found this BB-its nice to know that there are other people out there with the same problems as me. Although my mom is extremely supportive she doesn't always understand how I feel. I have a great doctor but she is at home-1 1/2 hrs away from college )-: If I need to see her though she is always willing to fit me in. I am going to try to find a good nutritionist-I have been keeping a journal to try and figure out what I can't eat. I also I am going to try the Caltrate Plus. Thanks again y'all!!------------------Kayla

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.