Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's rigth
I've called my colo-rectal surgeon who ordered my defecography last december.He told me:You have NOT IBS but non-relaxing puborectalis aka pelvic floor dysfunction.NOW,i don't know if it's a better condition to have and if i have better chance to get rid of it.Perhaps.The thing is i don't know anybody who has been cured of PFD.Even to get a diagnosis of pelvic floor d. seems to take 5 years or more depending which doctor you see.Biofeedback is a popular treatment for this condition but again,where's the cured???I'm contemplenting(sp?) Botox injection to "unspasm" the puborectalis but then again not many people have injected.
Incomplete evacuation/strainodynia(chronic straining) being a symptoms of PFD.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Why not try the botox injection Spasman; I think it wears off over time and I know they use this with good results for other medical conditions like disabling muscle spasms. (yes, I know its good for wrinkles too) I wonder if you were to try this and it was successful if over time it would train your pelvic floor muscles not to be so tight, almost like retraining those muscles.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
quote: Why not try the botox injection Spasman;
Hi Adelaide,yeah i seriuosly think about but that's not a procedure done everywhere.I may have to pay and i'm wondering if i could have both IBS and PFD.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It would seem that one could have both PFD and Ibs, by odds alone it could happen. It also makes me wonder if PFD, which results in poor elimination, could irritate the intestines through stool retention and interference with peristalsis, thus causing ibs?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
quote:It also makes me wonder if PFD, which results in poor elimination, could irritate the intestines through stool retention and interference with peristalsis, thus causing ibs?
That's what i'm trying to figure it out for many months now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I guess the bottom line is to improve elimination if possible to see if this clears up the intestinal irritation. If you have to pay out of pocket for the botox is the cost prohibitive? or would it be affordable enough to go ahead with it and try several injections to see if it works well?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had a similar problem. I thought I had some kind of bladder problem but my urologist told me that my irritable bladder may be caused by tense pelvic wall muscles. He also said that he sees this problem occur in many other women who seem to develop it after they have had IBS for a while. His theory is if the IBS is calmed down it won't stress out the pelvic area as much. I don't know if this information helps, but just know you're not alone.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It can cost more than one thousand $.Yeah you will probably need more than one injection.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have wondered if this is my problem too - the pelvic floor dysfunction. Can't it be a result of childbirth? My problems started after I had my son. I had an emergent episiotomy (it was a bad one!) and forcep delivery - almost had to have c-section (maybe I would be normal if I had one
I never had these issues before I was pregnant. And of course I'm a runner that ran through 7 months of pregnancy and was back at it 3 weeks after. Hmmmmm....did that jarring add to the damage? Who does biofeedback by the way? I'll try anything.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First you need to be evaluated by a manometry and defecography.To be sure you don't have a rectocele to begin with.But yeah look like there is damage from the childbirth.THAT is common stuff for trained colo-rectal surgeon.Did i said TRAINED?OK,where are you located?You can PM me.

·
Registered
184 Posts
quote:Originally posted by SpAsMaN*:That's rigth
I've called my colo-rectal surgeon who ordered my defecography last december.He told me:You have NOT IBS but non-relaxing puborectalis aka pelvic floor dysfunction.NOW,i don't know if it's a better condition to have and if i have better chance to get rid of it.Perhaps.The thing is i don't know anybody who has been cured of PFD.Even to get a diagnosis of pelvic floor d. seems to take 5 years or more depending which doctor you see.Biofeedback is a popular treatment for this condition but again,where's the cured???I'm contemplenting(sp?) Botox injection to "unspasm" the puborectalis but then again not many people have injected.
Incomplete evacuation/strainodynia(chronic straining) being a symptoms of PFD.
Spasman,What did the doc give you to help you after he found out about your PFD? I'm having my defecography on Wed. Here are my symptoms:I'm able to have 2 BM every morning and my stool are really soft and loose, but I only get the urge to go while I'm walking around and drinking lots of water. The urge is so strong, that I know my stool would come out if I don't run to the toilet, but after I sit on the toilet, the urge seems to go away. Most of the time I feel incomplete evacuation b/c of this. It's painful and very frustrating. What am I supposed to do? Does this sound like PFD to you?Does this ever happen to you? Or to anybody here?Blessings,Abi

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Abi
,Once i was diagnose,he told me to get biofeedback treatment.They really beleive on this treatment on some places.It's not a painful treatment.It's a probe who is inserted in your rectum and you tried to relearn how to evacuate,somewhat.I have not been deeply involved in this treatment du to lack of trained physiotherapist in my area.You've got a private message.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi all, I am new to this message board, even though I have been reading regularly the messages posted here. I am a C type and I have been diagnosed in 2001 and re-diagnosed in 2006 with non-relaxing puborectalis after lots of tests, including defecography, barium enema, colonoscopy etc, etc, etc.I am I would say exactly like Spasman, I use glycerin suppositories daily, dulcolax and stool softener (docusate sodium - colace)I tried botox injections (20 units)twice (first in 2003, second time 3 months ago) without any results at all. Before that (2001) Iwas given Bentyl which worked wonderfully for only 3 weeks, then I stopped and I tried again a month later, but it was less effective and finally did not work at all. I also had biofeedback for about 3 months last summer. The biofeedback helped a little, I want to do it again. I went to two colorectal surgeons to find out if there is some sort of correcting surgery, but they told me the surgery would not do any good.Thank you for listeningsteo

·
Registered
48 Posts
Abigail, I have the exact same thing!!!!It feels like it's coming out while I'm standing up and the minute I sit down, the urge vanishes! Poof! It is very frustrating. I kept thinking if I didn't have to squeeze so hard to keep it from coming out, then maybe it wouldn't lock up on me.So I'm trying enzymes and herbal nerve formulas to try and affect the nerves/spasms. Since mine doesn't do it all the time, I don't think it's something's that's physically broken, but a nerve problem. Although I have considered the epidural to be the culprit.Susie

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all. I was diagnosed by PFD few weeks ago. Before that I thought that all my problems are caused by hemorrhoids. Now I know that I have both of them. I was told by the doctor that first I have to try is biofeedback and if it doesn't help, than botox injection. Tomorrow, I'm going to start biofeedback. Meanwhile the only thing which helps me is an alcohol. If I drink something like whisky, then next day I have more relacing pubo. I also found the following cite which might helphttp://www.pelvicpainhelp.com/essays.html Mike

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WELL,let us know Mike60!Welcome to the board at the same time.
OK,for those with non-relaxing puborectalis,DO YOU HAVE STOOLS STUCK IN THE LOWER LEFT SIDE?That's the descending/sigmoid junction.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thank you guys for all your help and support. Hayley3, what kind of herbal nerve formulas are you trying? Can you give me some names? I already take enzymes. I also think is a nerve problem. Mike60, let us know about your bio and botox i if you get it.Spasman, when I feel incomplete evacuation, I do feel stool stuck in the lower side. I get so bloated and crampy, the worst feeling ever, right?Runningrd, it's always good to know that I'm not alone and that there are others like you that understand. Thank you!Do any of you guys eat lots of beans? That seems to help me with C. Also, having 2tsp flax seeds every morning with my cereal and lots of water helps me a lot.I have 2 more days to go for my defaecography, can't wait to know the results....Blessings,Abi

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.