Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm feeling pretty happy and upbeat this evening after having a good afternoon, and having a yummy date with my boyfriend, but this morning i was on the verge of having a panic attack...I didn't want to post this on the Anxiety forum, as i guess i don't want to hype it up, but i was wondering who else finds it hard to go out socially if they don't keep doing it evey week.I've been a bit of a muppet, and let my IBS control me too much over the last few months, so i've not been out as much as i used to, therefore when it came to going on a date today that involved sitting through a film for 3 and a half hours in a cinema quite away from my home, i wasn't too happy.I had a fantastic time once i was there, but i spent the whole morning worrying about getting an attack and therefore i spent the whole morning around the bathroom *viscious cycle*I know it's silly, and that at 20 i shouldn't be worrying about little outings, but i really got myself worked up. i miss being spontaneous and going out with a care in the world.Any one else suffer the same or just have an opinion in general? xXx

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi! This is actually my first post since I was only diagnosed this week...can't tell you how happy I am about that tho...at least now I know.Anyways, I have the same problem. I spend the whole day or even the day before going out totally freaking about it and worrying where the washrooms will be if I have to use them or if people will look at me weird when I have to go running out of a room (especially painful at exams let me tell you). Luckily I have tons of supportive friends who don't mind pulling off a highway to a restroom or letting me sit on the aisle. Still tho...Its very hard not to know when you're going to have an attack...I think that's honestly the hardest part for me...Glad to know someone else worries about it too tho
Hope you have a Happy Christmas tho and much fun on New Year's EveHugz,Kestrel

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Kestrel x it always means a lot when someone takes a little timeout to respond.Glad you've stumbled across this website! I've had ibs since i was 14 yet only discovered this site 3 months ago *hehe*Hope you too have a fantastic christmas and that your IBS lets you eat some of the gorgeous food!xXx

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey, Did you go and see Lord of the Rings by any chance? I had the exact same problem - I was worried that I'd have an attack in the middle of the film - let people down, then worried that if i couldnt go someone would lose money because they booked the tickets - then worried that i had to get the bus there, a 1hr trip on the bus never fills me with joy...I think the worse thing is worrying that you're going to have an attack and then you get so damn worried that you do have an attack before you even get anywhere. I was meant to be meeting friends in the morning (film was at 3) but my whole morning was spent doing the toilet dash. Once I got there I was perfectly fine and watched the whole film with no problems.I think the problem with IBS is that you do have to plan ahead...and the problem with planning ahead is that you have longer to get worked up about everything.Although I had a fantastic time and sometimes you do just have to build up the courage to go for the things you want, it's hard not letting IBS control you and your life but if you let it control you then what kind of life can you have? xxx

·
Registered
118 Posts
I totally agree...I spent the whole day before I went to Harry Potter (another 3 hr movie...ACK!)...I went w/ a whole bunch of UWO students and we reserved like 3 rows...I had to dash ahead of everyone else tho so I could get an aisle...but then I find that even tho I spend the whole day in the washroom and worrying..I never have to leave during the movie...weird..Haven't been to see Lord of the Rings tho...my bf is dying to go...maybe I'll let myself be convinced in the new year...Happy Christmas to you guys! Hope that you can eat all the stuff you want! I'm craving chocolate right now...but can't have any *sigh*Anyways...ttylHugz,Kestrel

·
Registered
227 Posts
i totally have to have the aisle seat too! i will not enjoy the movie if i don't. i swear, i can get myself so worked up some times that i can just make it worse. and i was diagnosed when i was a junior in highschool.i usually just keep a bunch of immodium on me (like 6 or so) and a bottle of water. i usually end up taking one before i leave and i won't eat much. that seems to help me some.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i did indeed go and see Lord of the Rings! *hehe* i'm glad i went though! it was fantastic *exclamation*One day our bowels will not rule our every thought and move.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sparkle, Yep, I do have the same worries! I'm 28 and I'm rarely out and about. Pretty much the only time you'll catch me at a bar or club is if my band is playing. Even then, it should be a fun time, which for the most part it is, but also there is a lot of stress and anxiety involved due to worrying about IBS and that just ruins the whole thing. Before, during and after a gig, I just put on the old smile and am not truly at ease until I get back home. That tends to make the "meeting chicks" situation virtually impossible!!I hate feeling like a recluse.
It seems that Anxiety and IBS are all buddy buddy and like to hang out a lot. They are like that Saturday Night Live skit from the 70's "The guest that wouldn't leave." (-or something like that)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ooh! On a side note, I think they should put a big screen in the rest rooms at the movie theater for us! I'm not asking for much, just maybe a 6' x 5' screen. Maybe surround sound in the stalls.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude - couldn't agree more! *hehe* even just audio of the film would be great...many a time have i missed the best bits of a film just because nature called *screamed*Keep in touch x

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am the drummer in a heavy metal band. We play our own stuff. We may cover a tune now and then, but rarely will we cover a tune at a gig. It's hard to compare your own music to others, but I'd say we're a mix of Black Sabbath meets Iron Maiden and Corrosion of Conformity. Luckily I have not had an "episode" at a gig yet. Oh how cool would that be... "1...2...3...4... Oh wait... Ummm... hang on everyone I gotta run to the rest room." Wow, I'd be the coolest drummer EVER!
Yep, the line for autographs forms to the LEFT of the stall.... (I could sign them on TP! hehehe)Maybe if I played bass or guitar or was the singer it would be better, that way I could just walk off stage and just re-appear a few minutes later and no one would be the wiser!
Rock on!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have the same problem. I'm 22 and get very depressed that all my friends can go out whenever they want and I don't feel like I can. I think it annoys them, as they don't really understand what it's like. Has anyone ever managed to go camping! My friends have been without me for the last few years, and don't understand why I can't stay in a tent in a field,with no toilet close by.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tell me about it! I really wanted to go to the Reading festival last year, but there was no chance of going for the whole weekend, or even over night cos of the guts, then the worry lalalalala *agh*But hey...Tomorrow's challenge is going to central london and ENJOYING it. I seem to spend so much time stressing, i forget the purpose of the exercise is to have fun!!!Who else doesn't get exited about going out anymore...?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Right there with ya! Instead of being happy to go do something, instead of "Oh cool, I get to go do this on Friday!" I'm more like "Great now on Friday I have to go do this." I also hate when I go somewhere and the first thing on my mind is scoping out where the restrooms are.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's so good to here someone else feels like this, besides my Mum! Sparkle, my friends live in London, and I have to dose myself up on immodium to be able to go and see them. Just staying at someone's house other than my own freaks my tummy out!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dude, is that like "The Dude" from The Big Lebowski? And I know what you mean about the effort to go out thing. I had second thoughts about New Year's eve! I just had to pull myself together, I mean it was New Year's eve for God's sake!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts