Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone... I have posted here before, but I dont think i introduced myself. I would like to start getting to know everyone, and would like to ask a few questions. If you have room for one more severe sufferer of IBS, I'll be posting here often.I am 20/female, living in NYC. I think I brought IBS on myself. For 3 years, I crash dieted, used suppositories or laxatives on and off, and over exercised (2 hours minimum a day) to lose almost 70 pounds. AND I AM PAYING FOR IT NOW!I was diagnosed in the beginning of the year (had endoscopy and colonoscopy) but the pain has worsened to the point where it is hell to leave the house at all. I still have a hard time accepting that it is IBS and not something else, but all my symptoms seem to match everyone else's here, so I am hoping that someone here will help me through this.I am type d, but most of the time, I just have pain. Whenever I do go, it is d. The pain is best described as the feeling that I am going to go in my pants (havent yet).My big question is....does smoking irritate IBS more. I smoke because I cant eat at all during the day or i wont leave the bathroom. Has anyone ever quit and had their symptoms become less dramatic?I am willing to give it up if necessary, and I know it is bad for health otherwise, but I am so addicted to it now that I will ONLY give it up if it will help this pain go away.Please help.......past experiences would help so much.PS: I started Caltrate Plus D on Saturday - havent felt a difference yet. I am also going for a sonogram on Friday...just to make sure there is nothing else messed up with me.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Did you get the Caltrate in the purple and white box and are you taking 3 a day one with each meal. If you can get some control over the diarrhea with calcium then you will be able to eat and not worry about getting to the bathroom for fear of an accident. Each of us are different and you need to adjust your calcium dose to suit you. Let me know if I can assist.LindaLNAPE###AOL.COM

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
IBSgoaway - Hi! I like your name! I'm a 46 yr old female with IBS "D". Good idea, what you said about checking first to rule out other things before "assuming" that you have IBS. Get all the tests done, for sure. Since you seem to be suffereing from "D", yes, I would also recommend the Caltrate Plus. The "D" and also the sense of urgency has been greatly reduced for me. Perhaps you will need a little time for it to work or even you may have to adjust your dose accordingly... I tried initially 2 of them a day but that wasn't sufficient to help me - I then started taking 3 a day and noticed a huge difference! jAs for the smoking question, I am one of those people who smoke and quit smoking on a regular basis. Dumb, I know! In my case, sorry to say, I've noticed that when I QUIT, my IBS gets worse. Now I'm going back YEARS, whenever I would quit, my gas would get way worse than it was when I DID smoke! So, I would start smoking again just to avoid smelling like a SKUNK! This last time I quit smoking, I noticed my "D" came back way worse than its ever been. Mind you, when I started taking the Caltrate Plus, the "D" lessened greatly. I got fed up one day when I did have "D" and started smoking again. And since then, I "wish" it wasn't so, I seem to be better. "D" wise anyway, otherwise I feel like sh*t! To smoke or not to smoke... I wanna, BUT I don't wanna get worse again!Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anxious and LNape - Thanks for the responses!I feel so much better about the smoking thing now. It didnt seem to bother me, but my boyfriend keeps pushing me to quit, saying that it must be upseting my stomach worse. (He just quit recently, so that is probably the real reason he wants me to quit so badly!)I am taking the Caltrate in the pink box - it has added Vitamin D. Is this bad for me to take? I am going to go to the store tomorrow to look for the purple box. I have tried 2 drugstores, but neiher had it.I am only taking one a day for now. It seemed to help the 'd' somewhat, but for some reason, I have become sooo nauseous, and can't seem to get any food down my throat. I start to gag after two bites. As a result, I am very tired and dizzy...even passed out this morning.Getting really depressed over this. Please help!!! I just want the pain and 'd' to go away!!!Thanks again!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Don't take this wrong. I smoke too,so I am not pointing fingers at anyone,but it does help to quit.The ciculation of blood to the digestive track is affected and your health will improve if you quit. Personal note I haven't but am going to try. Second, you have to force yourself to eat on a daily basis,when you don't eat then your system shuts down,then when you all of a sudden do eat,your system starts up again causing the C&D. It has to keep functioning it order for it to work properly. Try small amounts of food all through the day,calcium supplements will not cure an eating disorder(I am not saying thats what you have)because I understand the food thing the pain everytime you eat,but you will feel better with food as fuel,which will keep up the immune system,circulation,and you.I don't know where this quote come from but"you either eat or die" Try to look at the whole picture. I hope this helps it is not meant to be malicious.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Smoking does indeed make my symptoms worse over time and it will bring about symptoms when there otherwise would not be any. I'm a on again off again smoker and I'm aware of the fact that being symptom free makes me try things on occasion, like cigarettes, which then lead to symptoms. Better to leave cigarettes alone because they do disturb your stomach as they do mine. I know, simpler said than done. I'm glad you are on the board, you seem like a pretty cool person. I don't have your symptoms. I suppose my symptoms aren't really anything I should complain to anyone in here about, they're minimal in comparison but they're disruption in my life none-the-less. Listen to your boyfriend, he's interested in your good health.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once again, thanks for all the great advice. Eric - Yes, unfortunately, I know I have an eating disorder. That's what got me into this trouble in the first place. I am still getting over my old habits of starving, but every time I try to eat during the day, I get terrible cramps and then 'd' sometime later. Spending long periods of time in the bathroom are not acceptable at my job - I tried explaining my condition, but my boss is very unsympathetic. Nevertheless, I am going to try to eat something around lunchtime today - even if that only means a banana and some toast. As for the smoking, I am going to try to reduce the amount I smoke at first, to see if the symptoms go away. I only had two cigarettes this morning, which is ALOT less than I usually have. My morning ride to work was somewhat more comfortable. I am going to keep this up for the rest of the day and see for changes tomorrow morning.Keep cheering me on-pleeeeeeeeeezzzzeeeee- and hopefully at least SOME of the pain will go away. =)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, IBSgoaway! I hope you don't mind a non-smoker putting her 2 cents in, but I'd just like to add a couple of thoughts. I've heard that a lot of people smoke because they say it makes them feel calmer and more relaxed. I've also heard that stress and anxiety often make IBS symptoms worse. So, it makes some sense to me that when you try to quit smoking, you may feel more tense and stressed, and then that makes the D and pain worse. I haven't heard you mention whether or not you are seeing any Doctors for treatment of the IBS or your eating problems. If you're not, I would really urge you to do so. You are dealing with a lot of issues now and a good, understanding Doc could help. You may want to consider some anti-anxiety medicines or even some counseling to help with all the stress you're under. I hope you feel better soon!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all - In about two weeks I will pass 10 months without a cigarrette. This is after something like 25 years of smoking (when I stopped - 2 packs a day) habit. It neither helped or hindered my IBS symptoms - but it did help in many, many other ways. I can breath better, I have more endurance and most notably, I have more money.
wbeno

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey IBSGoAway
,I smoke too and it only affects my IBS if I already have cramps or an attack and I have a cigarette. Otherwise I'm fine, it's not a major trigger for me. I started smoking before my IBS got really bad, and it never made a difference when I did start. I was 14 when I started smoking and about 17 when my IBS got worse.Also I'm taking the Caltrate in the pink box too, I couldn't find a purple box anywhere, but maybe that's what everyone was talking about!!!
------------------Michelle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I smoked 2 packs per day for more years than I care to remember. I had to quit because of severe allergies --to smoke--of all things. I quit by starting with the number of cigarettes I smoked in a day--smoking those that day and the next day-taking one of those cigarettes away and smoking one less. You find yourself putting off having one, because you know you have less to smoke. My husband reduced one cigarette every other day.After I got completely off the smokes, my stress level went way down. It's hard for me to remember how high it was then. I know how hard it is to quit--took me 3 times, and I was surrounded by smokers. I really believe, though that in the long-term, you will be healthier and your body needs all the health it can get to fight IBS!Good Luck!LP

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I see I'm not the only one having trouble finding the Caltrate in the "purple" box! On Sunday night, with only "one" Caltrate pill left, I went to buy some more. Well, GOOD LUCK, never had this problem before - I had to go to 5 stores before I could find any - starting to panic here! Finally found some in a grocery store, of all things - they had only 2 boxes left so I bought both! But I'm wondering if someday I won't be able to find any at all! I was told by the pharmacist in the 3rd Shopper's I went into, that if none of the Shoppers have it, that means they are having trouble getting it from the supplier! Scarey thought. SOMEONE, there are lots of pink boxes around - would those be okay in a pinch???

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Anxious,Do you think we ibser's have created the purple and white box Caltrate shortage. Wouldn't that be funny. They are probably wondering at the caltrate company how come there sales have gone up in such a short time.Linda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello IBSGoAway: I like your name too.I believe that you will find great help on this board; but I am a non-smoker; so I cannot help you there; but my husband has smoked since 16 years of age and finally quit when I got pregnant with out daughter; now 7. He has never touched another one since and he even works with lots of smokers on supply boats. But the boat he is on now; they are all trying to quit. But I will say this: even though my husband has never been diagnosed with IBS - he has Diarrhea most of the time with certain foods that he eats - mostly rich foods. Smoking didn't help or hinder that problem. However, he does have some severe allergies that may provoke D. He is becoming more aware of this BB; but found it odd that I wanted to talk Bowels to other people; but this BB has been a lifesaver for me.And Anxious: I just have to say this! Don't knock MY SKUNK!!!!! I love the way they smell!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!! I really do! I would love to have one as a pet! I disgust people when I tell them that. One more thing: sometimes I like to eat French Fries from a certain fast food joint because they "taste" like a skunk "smells"!!!!!! Now, don't be chased off by this; I don't own a skunk and never will; but I do love the smell of skunk! If anyone can tell me why; I would love a response on my E-mail please! LOL!!!AMF

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is evidence that giving up smoking can aggravate IBS. Also some doctors now prescribe nicotine patches for people with colitis - there MUST be a connection. I gave up smoking in 1992 and was very healthy at that time - six months later I was very, very, very ill with D IBS and have been in and out of hospital. Sometimes I hve been tempted to start again because of this but am afraid that it might not shift the IBS and then I could be hooked on nicotine again. But, there definately is a link with nicotine and bowels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts