Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,898 Posts
elavil(amitriptyline)- started at 10mg/day-did nothing, now taking 50-60mg/day for IBS pain. It does knock down the pain level for me but I notice that after several months I have to increase it to get the same effect.My GI said it is supposed to knock down the intensity of pain/spasms, not stop all of it unfortunately. I didnt have any side effects other than being alittle tired for about a week when I started taking it. Some people get dry mouth/eyes and C. It hasn't changed my personality at all, the dose is way lower than what people take for depression. Hope this helps

· Registered
1,898 Posts
elavil(amitriptyline)- started at 10mg/day-did nothing, now taking 50-60mg/day for IBS pain. It does knock down the pain level for me but I notice that after several months I have to increase it to get the same effect.My GI said it is supposed to knock down the intensity of pain/spasms, not stop all of it unfortunately. I didnt have any side effects other than being alittle tired for about a week when I started taking it. Some people get dry mouth/eyes and C. It hasn't changed my personality at all, the dose is way lower than what people take for depression. Hope this helps

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi Kay,I used Paxil a few years ago for anxiety/depression. I found it did help. My personality didn't change, but I became more positive and able to deal with different feelings and emotions that came up in difficult situations.Hope this helpst

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi Kay,I used Paxil a few years ago for anxiety/depression. I found it did help. My personality didn't change, but I became more positive and able to deal with different feelings and emotions that came up in difficult situations.Hope this helpst

· Registered
324 Posts
I take Celexa for pain and depression. They have taken me out of a downward spiral. That being said, for some they work well and for others they don't work at all. It's a trial and error thing. Maybe talk to your dr. about this if you're interested.

· Registered
324 Posts
I take Celexa for pain and depression. They have taken me out of a downward spiral. That being said, for some they work well and for others they don't work at all. It's a trial and error thing. Maybe talk to your dr. about this if you're interested.

· Registered
119 Posts
I take Amtritlyine.Unmedicated- 1-2 bouts a dayHyosycamine alone- 5-6 per weekAmitriptyline- 1 every 1-2 weeksFor me, it helped a LOT! I personally see it as a nectar of the gods! Sometimes it makes me feel a little upity, and it does make me drowsy(and I only take it at night since I can't drive with it), but to me that is definently worth it! Raven

· Registered
119 Posts
I take Amtritlyine.Unmedicated- 1-2 bouts a dayHyosycamine alone- 5-6 per weekAmitriptyline- 1 every 1-2 weeksFor me, it helped a LOT! I personally see it as a nectar of the gods! Sometimes it makes me feel a little upity, and it does make me drowsy(and I only take it at night since I can't drive with it), but to me that is definently worth it! Raven

· Registered
1,722 Posts
I take Effexor for my IBS spasms. I wouldn't have known how well they work for IBS if I hadn't became severly depressed when my husband died, and was put on Pamelor. I stopped taking that one because of weight gain. Just about all antidepressants work for the pain of IBS. I hope you find help. I know it helped me.

· Registered
1,722 Posts
I take Effexor for my IBS spasms. I wouldn't have known how well they work for IBS if I hadn't became severly depressed when my husband died, and was put on Pamelor. I stopped taking that one because of weight gain. Just about all antidepressants work for the pain of IBS. I hope you find help. I know it helped me.

· Registered
23,788 Posts

· Registered
23,788 Posts

· Registered
892 Posts
Although I continue to take Xanax to control my anxiety and therefore my D, I've been able to cut the Xanax to one small dose in the morning because the Effexor is doing a good job on my anxiety and depression as well as being slightly constipating. The only problem I have is the large number of intense dreams I have virtually every night--a side effect of Effexor...luckily they are rarely nightmares but they do kind of exhaust me. Take care.

· Registered
892 Posts
Although I continue to take Xanax to control my anxiety and therefore my D, I've been able to cut the Xanax to one small dose in the morning because the Effexor is doing a good job on my anxiety and depression as well as being slightly constipating. The only problem I have is the large number of intense dreams I have virtually every night--a side effect of Effexor...luckily they are rarely nightmares but they do kind of exhaust me. Take care.

G

·
I have taken prozac in the past. Then I hardly had an episode of IBS and it completely removed it from the pic for me for 3 years. Now, that I have had a major crisis for a month and a half -- most severe in my life -- I am on PAXIL (12.5 mg). It does not change my mood at all. I am not too sure if it is helping me with a D that now became C. But overall it is some help, I am sure. The drug does not prevent you from crying when you are sad, for example. You remain human - sort of speak, and nostalgic if it is the case. You do not develop into a new person, just perhaps a less extreme version of yourself (in the anxiety sense).In the past I have taken Zolof for depression (no IBS then). I am not sure which of these drugs is the best, but they all had no side effects for me, and never really altered my mood in significant ways. I recommend them.

G

·
I have taken prozac in the past. Then I hardly had an episode of IBS and it completely removed it from the pic for me for 3 years. Now, that I have had a major crisis for a month and a half -- most severe in my life -- I am on PAXIL (12.5 mg). It does not change my mood at all. I am not too sure if it is helping me with a D that now became C. But overall it is some help, I am sure. The drug does not prevent you from crying when you are sad, for example. You remain human - sort of speak, and nostalgic if it is the case. You do not develop into a new person, just perhaps a less extreme version of yourself (in the anxiety sense).In the past I have taken Zolof for depression (no IBS then). I am not sure which of these drugs is the best, but they all had no side effects for me, and never really altered my mood in significant ways. I recommend them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.