Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For many weeks now I had soft, mushy and once even watery bms, anywhere frome 1-5 times a day. Now all of a sudden I can't go anymore ( since 2 days). The first day when I couldn't have a bm I felt I had something stuck inside of me and every time I tried to go I couldn't. I don't feel bloated at all but I felt that it would be great to release a big fart but only tiny once came out and it was never a big relive. Today is the second day that I can't have a bm but surprisingly I feel almost 100 % o.K. ( almost no tummy ache ). The only explanation I could give to this is because I started desipramen again. I stopped for a year because I wasn't sure if this was working or not. I read that it causes constipation. I did remember that I had loose stool last years too even when I was on desipramen. Could it be that the desipramen causes constipation at the beginning when you take it ? I can' t remember how it was when I first started desipramen. Is there need to worry ?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yesterday after 2 days of not going to the bathroom I had a normal bm and my tummy feels almost normal. Yesterday and today I felt also almost pain free but today I didn't need to have a bm again. It's almost like my belly is taking a vacation form all the pooping ( but without the pain). Even after having a bowl of lentils with vegetables I didn't feel pain or bloating afterwards. Is this from the desipramine I just started a week ago or is it just the typical up and down from IBS ? I know constipation is defined by going less than 3 times a week and that's not the case yet. Anyway, isn't it a big change from going 1-4 times a day to going every 2 days now (once). Should I be happy or worried about it ? I am kind of confused about my bowls.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Going every other day with a normal BM consistency is in the normal range for normal human beings with no GI illness.It is not a reason to worry. It may just be the normal pattern you would have now considering your diet and exercise as well as age, etc.You do not need to have a BM every day. As long as the consistency is normal and you go at 3X a week you are fine (which is about every other day to every third day).Normal range for normal consistency BM's in normal humans is from 3X a day to 3X a week.While we tell IBSers to watch for a change in symptoms, returning to a more normal pattern is NOT a reason to get all anxious and worried and freaked out. What you look for is WORSE symptoms, not normal stools. Normal stool consistency and frequency is a GOOD THING. Having times when your stool frequency and stool consistency is more normal and you have less pain should be a cause for happiness and relief. Try to enjoy it.
Either it is getting better or the medication you are taking is working. Either one is a GOOD THING!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am enjoying it while it lasts and I really hope it lasts a long time because I am going to Europe in a few weeks. I know, I always have to be prepared for a big dissapointment that my pain returns. IBS is really strange !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.