Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't believe it. 2 weeks off Wheat and this morning posting a message saying how all my symptoms are gone and now, suddenly after a yoghurt for lunch, within 15 minutes I am almost unable to stand up i'm so dizzy. Went out for a meal last night and had some red wine for the first time in 3 months. V careful that all the food didn't have wheat although I suppose its possible there were traces. What on earth would cause such a rapid reaction ? Gone from being to fine this morning to completely dizzy now. Mike or anyone else - could this be the wheat or another intollerance ? Can it affect you that quickly ? How come it only happened when I ate the yoghurt (and a yoghurt i've eaten loads of times before without a problem) ?Nic (very stressed)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
The input below is only a description of my symptoms, which may be irrelevant in your case.I have a number of food allergies, the most severe of which is a caffeine allergy. It only rears it's ugly head when I ingest a large enough dosage.For example, drinking one large mug of hot tea will typically produce IBS symptoms many hours later. Drinking less than that might not produce any symptoms at all.Ingesting a good sized cup of strong coffee will produce a very rapid reaction, which borders on anaphylactic shock: Clamminess, lightheadedness, palpitations, nausea, incipient loss of consciousness. The first time this happened it was severe enough I thought I might be having a heart attack. The only solution for me is complete avoidance.I don't know the ratio of caffeine in coffee to that in tea, but there is clearly a dosage beyond which I cannot go without risking a very bad reaction.If your symptoms are similar, it is possible you could have a severe allergy, but again, a doctor would be in a much better position to make this judgement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,922 Posts
Hi nichop:It sounds to me like maybe you are coming down with the flu or something. There's a lot of stuff going around right now. Keep us posted n how you're feeling.JeanG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
I think you think that the yogurt caused the dizziness because you had just ate it. But I think it is something else. Like vertigo, low blood pressure, inner ear problem or just alergies in the air, etc. But if you feel dizzy and then feel nausea it is vertigo.Then take a motion sickness pill and you will feel better. Sometimes people get dizzy when they stand up all of a sudden. I like to play medical detective so think of other possibilities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,730 Posts
NICHOP:If you have had the same yogurt before with no response it is unlikely that the reaction has anything to do with the yogurt UNLESS it was contaminated with some pathogen which produces a toxin which you reacted to immediately or you have been overconsuming it on your elimination diet (se below). A reaction that fast is a rapid-response immune reaction to something...either natural and correctly provoked by introducing a pathogen into the GI tract or inappropriately via allergy. The probability of this in your case based on the information given is low.One of the bugaboos of the various food intolerance mechanisms possible is the common-ground of forgetting they are usually delayed. And it is very common that the reaction manifests itself in such a way that we think it is something we just ate when it was something from hours ago or a day or two ago. The upregulated neuromuscular system of the gut (and the systemic and central nervous system which is a "chemical consequence" of degranulation of circulating immune cells or mucosal cells or both) can be triggered into response under those circumstances by the mere act of eating. The gastrocolonic reflex is exaggerated as a consequence of the neuromusculo-toxic or activating mediators present. When this is the case you can eat anything and trigger an apparent reaction. These reactions are systemic, not just "mucosal" and many of the mediators that can and are released depending upon the mechanism invoked penetrate the blood-brain barrier rapidly and can effect nerves and blood vessels in the brain causing dizziness, nausea, headache, ringing in the ears, clamminess, chills, all kinds of systemic symptoms.Also keep in mind the various things that you could be sensitive to in the red wine you drank (such as sorbic acid, sodium metabisulfite, depending upon the fruit it may contain salicylates, tyramine, and some other various and extraneous delites depending upon the vintner and the relative sophistication of the wine. T-Bird and Mad Dog, for example, are shall we say more potentially exciting physiologically).Then, who knows what else was in the restaurant food...I have beeen in remission for over 5 years. I mean remission not "feeling pretty good"..EXCEPT when I either intentionally violate my dietary rules or someone in the restaurant slips me a "mickie" via a reactive food or chemical. Then it is Immodium City again. And I always get the dizzy-clammy-oh-no-here-we-go sensations first before the old bowel gears up for a major flush-out. Just not as bad as it used to be since it is an acute response not a chronic, ongoing ever-present state of reactivity.It is always going to be there to some degree to rise up again from the hidden demons of your immune functions...over time you will tolerate more "accidental exposure" than you do now.But do not be discouraged...you just got dosed and you may not ever know by what. Just continue with your diet. The only caveat is...it is POSSIBLE to react to something you were not reactive to before especially if the reaction is not chemocytotoxic but truly an "immunologic pathway aberration", since the immune system in food sensitive people is very labile. hell, it is its NATURE to be labile anyway. People have this wholly inaccurate conception iof the immune system as functioning within this rigid predermined "box" of functionality. It is the polar opposite. It is by nature labile and adaptive and dynamic even in health.This is why rotation should be followed. If you overconsume a safe food, even yogurt, you can lose your oral tolerance to it just like you lost it to the wheat. So exercise caution in that regard.Otherwise, accept you may not find out what it was and continue to Eat well. Think well, and Be Well.MNL_____________ www.leapallergy.com
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top