Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a colonoscopy on Aug. 17th. I prepped on the 16th. The prep was not fun, but I'm suffering MORE NOW! I still have terrible diarrhea, stomach pains, and fatigue. Is this normal? I'm really getting down because I can't keep nutrients in my body
I had NO IDEA I would suffer so much after the colonoscopy. I drank the full gallon of tri-lyte
Anyway, I have patchy diffuse colitis and have been prescribed asacol.I haven't felt so bad for at least 7 months!How long does it take to recover from the tri-lyte poison? I can't help but call it poison because it really did a number on my stomach and colon
Blessings and hugs,Jennifer aka RoseMarion

·
Registered
359 Posts
RoseMarion--I'm sorry to hear of your misery. Since I don't have colitis I can't say how long the irritation from the tri-lyte will continue to affect you. I have IBS with no other complications so the only side effect I seem to suffer is a tendency toward bowel incontinence after colonoscopies(that's enough). With colitis, you already suffer from inflammation and the tri-lyte just made it worse. Continue to take your asacol and be sure and consult with your doctor about the continued discomfort.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks slm
I appreciate your advice
I thought I had IBS. I guess I have a mild form of an IBD. The tri-lyte must have inflamed my already sad and patchy inflamed colon
I'm slightly anemic. Now I know why. My colon bleeds sometimes.I haven't tried the asacol yet because I've been feeling so poorly. Plus, I was afraid to try this pill in a way since it's man-made, but I'm leaving that in God's hands.
I've been on health pills for 20th months, and they have REALLY HELPED ME! Thus, my hesitation to try man-made pills.
They are RenewLife products.Renewlife.comI take I.B.S. support I&II, fibersmart, oilsmart, and florasmart. I also was eating a half of cup of all-bran for a while now. It seemed to keep my bowels moving and normal.I am not eating All-bran right now because of the irritation I'm experiencing.I'm soooo sorry so many of us suffer with bowel conditions. It makes life hard, but I have faith we will all find our ways and be healthy again!
Renew life products have really helped me. You may want to check them out! Has anyone taken asacol? Does it help? Thanks again for the help
Blessings and hugs,Jennifer aka RoseMarion

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again for the help. After I wrote that post I just got worse. I couldn't keep ANY FLUID in me at all. By Monday night I knew I needed to go to the emergency room. I went and was admitted to the hospital. I was severely dehydrated and my potassium level was very low. They pumped me with fluids and potassium in my veins. I stayed in the hospital for two days. I'm finally eating again!
YAY
And drinking again!
YAY!I'm on asacol. It seems to have helped a great deal. I'm still waiting for the first REAL bowel movement since this has all happened. I've had small movements, but nothing I would consider to be a normal and regular movement. I'm also on flagyll. My white blood cell count was high. Also, my GI doc said flagyll seems to help colitis sometimes. I'm also on a relaxer ativan. I'm much better!
On a good note the biopsy from my colonoscopy showed mild colitis and big time irritable bowel syndrome.I'm eating potatoes and bran and I even had a hamburger yesterday. Thanks for the help and I'll keep you all in my prayers
hugs and Blessings,Jennifer aka RoseMarionps I do believe the scope set my colon off and perhaps the tri-lyte solution because before the colonoscopy I was having normal bowel movements albeit with some blood in them. Hopefully the asacol will stop the blood

·
Registered
332 Posts
I can relate. I had a horrible experience with colonoscopy, and had the worst cramping and diarrhea of my life for about 6 months after the procedure. It does happen to some people that the procedure causes a lot of problems afterward, but it isn't commonly discussed. I'm sorry you are having problems too. I hope you are able to find some relief soon and that things settle down for you quickly. Nothing helped me but just waiting. I lost a lot of weight and couldn't eat solid food at all for the six months after the procedure (lived on Ensure). My current doctor wants to perform a colonoscopy on me and has wanted to for years but I haven't been able to build up the courage to have it done again.^j^

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.