Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had narrowed down the triggers for me for my diarrhea(high fructose corn syrup), but last night had something with fresh lemon juice, regular sugar, and cream. Usually high fat items (cream) don't cause a lot of trouble for me, but maybe the combination of the three? Did the lemons with sugar turn into something akin to hfcs?It is quite disturbing to me as the diarrhea hit without warning. This is always so frightening as I sometimes think I have it under control. Do I have to live on Immodium just to be safe?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
IBS triggers are not only limited to food. There are many other triggers... so keep that in mind. For me?? It isn't what I eat .. it's THAT I eat.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't think the acid of the lemon does anything to the sugar molecules in the sugar to make the glucose transform into fructose.Fat can be a funny thing. Some high fat can be OK, but a bit too much or in too large of a meal, or if you waited just a bit too long to eat can be enough to push a normally safe meal over the edge (and how much butter or other frying was done, what were the sides, etc. can all play a role).And food is NOT the only trigger. Did you sleep enough the night before. Get just enough exercise over the last week or so. Worked just the right amount so you feel good about what you do, but not feel stressed out. Is the weather the type of weather that doesn't bother you. Can you be fighting off an infection that didn't really get going but was enough to cause a bit of physical stress, etc.It would be nice if it were food, always food, and nothing but food. There are just too many other triggers that could be what set it off or it could be nothing by itself in the meal would be a problem but that combination of those things in that amount just pushed something over the line.Some people need regular doses of Imodium but if you only have some diarrhea a couple of times a month then the Imodium on a regular basis could be too constipating. Now some people can find a dose to take with or before any meal that might be questionable, or if they can't eat small enough meals frequently enough that day and have to eat a large meal too long after they had their last meal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
here's the thing about acids from food..........it's been my experience that when we want lemon or sour stuff like vinegar & such, our body' r crying out for acid to help digestion...........unfortunately, alot of acids we consume, r waste acids....acetic acid from vinegar & ascorbic acid from lemons & such, r ultimately waste acids..........if we r low in the stomach acid hydrochloric acid (HCl), it tries to get any acid to do the trick.......waste acids have to b gotten rid of..........D is the fastest way, sweating can also happen & throwing up.........there r only 4 ways ur body can get rid of toxins.......some faster than others...........they r:...........throwing up, diarrhea, sweating & urinating........if this doesn't happen when it's necessary, then the body has to store them in out of the way places........these can b in ur joints, in fatty tissues, in muscle....cause these waste acids r detrimental to the brain, & all internal organs.........if they r not stored or gotten rid of, or blood becomes pea soup........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.