Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had luck with cutting sugar from your diet helping with IBS-D? I know I eat too much sugar and I am presently trying to cut down. Just wondering if sugar aggravates IBS? I kept a diet once for my doctor and wrote down everything I ate and what happened afterward. He didn't find any pattern from my eating but onions. (I do have another list of "triggers" that I watch but sugar is not included.) Appreciate any advice or experiences anyone has had with sugar. (I know that too much sugar is not good for your general health but how about IBS-D?)

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Sugar may increase transit and may add to bacteria and hence gas, so it may help to cut it out or down. However, if it doesn't bother you to much or at all it does have some pluses as well as minuses.

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Sugar may increase transit and may add to bacteria and hence gas, so it may help to cut it out or down. However, if it doesn't bother you to much or at all it does have some pluses as well as minuses.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks eric. I am not cutting it out entirely, I just eat too many sweets and have read that decreasing it helps to increase your energy. I know I eat too much and have also gained weight. I will see if cutting down helps some.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks eric. I am not cutting it out entirely, I just eat too many sweets and have read that decreasing it helps to increase your energy. I know I eat too much and have also gained weight. I will see if cutting down helps some.

G

·
I eliminated sugar and refined flours from my diet and have had success in stopping the frequent bouts of diarrhea that I have been having for the past fifteen years. I am eating low-glycemic foods that do not raise the blood sugar level and I have found that it has resulted in an incredible difference in my intestines. Sugars are hidden in many of our foods, especially the low fat ones. Check out the list of low-glycemic foods and see if changing your diet this way helps you.

G

·
I eliminated sugar and refined flours from my diet and have had success in stopping the frequent bouts of diarrhea that I have been having for the past fifteen years. I am eating low-glycemic foods that do not raise the blood sugar level and I have found that it has resulted in an incredible difference in my intestines. Sugars are hidden in many of our foods, especially the low fat ones. Check out the list of low-glycemic foods and see if changing your diet this way helps you.

G

·
Hi Sallyjane,Read my post titled "Finally." I cut sugar among other things. I won't give you the long story here, but you might find it interesting to look at!Julie

G

·
Hi Sallyjane,Read my post titled "Finally." I cut sugar among other things. I won't give you the long story here, but you might find it interesting to look at!Julie

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To psychosyp and bearjul, Thanks so much for your posts. I am convinced that this intake of sugar is not helping me. I will reread each one and take more action. I appreciate your input and help. Now, I know that I REALLY need to cut down. This board is filled with helpful and caring people. God bless Jeff and all the members.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To psychosyp and bearjul, Thanks so much for your posts. I am convinced that this intake of sugar is not helping me. I will reread each one and take more action. I appreciate your input and help. Now, I know that I REALLY need to cut down. This board is filled with helpful and caring people. God bless Jeff and all the members.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.