Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many Ibs books that seem to be mainly science based and factual. I was just wondering if anyone could recomend a book more to do with the emotional effects and general advice on how to get through the day !!!!! I know all there is to know about the physcial side of things! The book doesnt even really need to be about Ibs!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A couple of ideas. One is click the books link in the blue bar above. and the category you want to look at is coping and self helpThe first is a book I read back when I was having some other problems, there is a new edition. It is fairly general for chronic illness. Sick and tired of being sick and tired. This is on the link I mentioned above.In the general IBS section you might check out this Breaking the Bonds of Irritable Bowel Syndrome : A Psychological Approach to Regaining Control of Your Life This is a CBT approach to IBS and I did CBT (cog. Behav. Therapy) for IBS as part of a clinical trial and it really made things much better for me.www.ibsaudioprogram.com is a self-hypnotherapy at home set of CD's that some people here have had good luck with.The CBT and HT section of the forum talks about these sorts of things.K.

·
Registered
348 Posts
SarahBGo to www....com - I would recommend Heather's "Living through the first year with ibs". I would also recommend her diet and supplements which she recommends especially a soluble fiber supplement. I have been suffering for over 30 years and this has been the most help I have ever been able to get. The soluble fiber is really important but for 30 years the medics have been telling me to have high insoluble fiber which has most probably made me worse.You will need to be patient though - firstly I went onto the soluble fiber food diet which she suggests, then I added in a soluble fiber (I get Heather's Acacia from the States) and then I started taking calcium carbonate supplement but I do not think that has helped me and I have just stopped it (but I have given it 4 months in order to make that decision).Judith

·
Registered
2 Posts
"THE INVISIBLE DIET" By William Farabaugh. Try this book, it is certainly motivational and it has a great message on how to lose weight by using your subconscious mind.This book reveals a revolutionary new concept in weight loss and is developed to impel action, for it is the actions taken on a daily basis that affect your weight. Most people do not understand that the actions they take at any given moment are subconsciously driven, not a willed event.An example is in order: Ahead of you is a narrow stretch of concrete about 2 feet wide and 20 feet long, on each side is grass. Could you walk that path without stepping on the grass? Most likely you could. Now take this walkway and place it connecting as a bridge several hundred feet above the ground! Remember, there are no rails. Could you walk the distance? No, not likely! You would make a step or two and freeze. Even if someone were to give you a million dollars if you could make it across you would not be able to. Your imagination would dominate your thought, and the dominating thought would be that of falling and danger, therefore you would not get across.Contemporary weight loss concepts try to convince you, in a very logical way, to will a specific outcome by following their strategy. It is just like saying, using the example above, walk across that precarious bridge and you will lose weight. What is not taken into account is the effect the imagination has in achieving the desired final outcome. These diets have really nothing new to offer. They push the message, eat less, eat better, eat less frequently, eat more frequently, don't eat fat, keep away from fast food, exercise this way, exercise that way, etc. They do not address the issue of sacrifice and other ideas that stir in the imagination.None of this in "The Invisible Diet", it is taken for granted you know what is good and bad. This diet is a system that once understood takes only a couple of minutes a day and provides you with a means to overcome your weight problem and perhaps other problems that you may encounter in life. It is constructed to influence your imagination so that it will be your ally and not your enemy. This is truly an effortless weight loss program.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.