Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been given a supplement by a relative to try out and i'm highly dubious about it...the main reason im not taking it is its aloe vera based and i'm a D sufferer so bad mix.however the ingredients include sorbitol (second highest ingredient) and citric acid which are both gastrointestinal irritants.opinions/experiences anyone?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Unless they shared your symptoms, I would run away, and I'm most definitely a supplemental kind of guy.Mark

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
With aloe you do have to be careful.Some aloe preparations are geared more for treating constipation and some parts of the extract is used as a stimulatory laxative.The gel part can be soothing, but it they are adding other things that tend to loosen stools I would think they might be using the part of the aloe that tends to loosen stools. Or they don't care that they are adding things that can bother some people with diarrhea to the parts that usually are helpful for those tending to diarrhea.Also the parts that make it a laxative also tend to be bitter, so if it is a juice and they have to do things to make it taste better that also indicates that maybe it isn't the one for you.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If it is really bitter it has a lot of the latex that is in the leaf and the latex is where the stimulatory laxative is.The sorbitol probably adds to that effect (as it is an osmotic laxative) but probably is in there to balance the bitter enough people can get it down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.