Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks.. sorry for not putting this in the alternative medicine or IBS-D section; but I felt that this should be shared with everyone in a general sense since it has changed my life.I have IBS-D and for years I couldn't remember the last time I had a solid stool. For pain control, enteric coated peppermint oil was doing the trick but my stool was still a loose mess. After I quit smoking a couple months ago, things got worse so I decided to start whipping my body into shape with some nutritional supplementation to purge the nicotene/tar residuals from my body.By happenchance I started taking 650mg of Calcium per day. It did not make any difference in my IBS-D despite the fact I have heard that it has helped many people. I then started (aside from a multivitamin) to add 60mg of CoQ10 to the mix... almost immediately (within 48 hours) I noticed my stool being solid. In fact, I have not had one loose stool since the 2nd day of CoQ10 therapy and this has been over two weeks. It's unbelieveable. A large 8 pack double roll of toilet paper usually does me just under two weeks... in a week I've used one roll and a half.I have no idea if it's the CoQ10 WITH the Calcium or the CoQ10 alone; but what I do know is that the coQ10 was the catalyst. If you have had problems trying other things, I suggest trying the CoQ10. I take 60mg per day in a oil-filled gelcap (not the powdered CoQ10-- it is fat soluable and is absorbed better when taken in an oil-filled capsule than in a powdered one). If someone tries the CoQ10 and/or the combined CoQ10/Calcium supplementation therapy and have any success, please let me know. For me it's been a miracle!!!

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Great news, Mike.I know CoQ10 has been suggested for cholesterol control, along with a number of other problems. That it would work for IBS as well--much like the flavonoids do for both my cholesterol and D--would be another suggestion of a link between these two conditions. (It would sure be interesting to know what % of people with cardiovascular disease also share our problem.)Does anyone have any knowledge of what CoQ10 is doing? Talissa?Mark

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I just want to know what brand you're taking mm, because I've been taking Q10 every day for my gums(taking tetracycline for a YR as a teen really did a number on my gums)-- long before PI-IBS came along. Maybe you're taking a better brand??Q10 has been shown in studies to help the respiratory mitochondria for heart failure patients, and intestinal mitochondria in cases where NSAIDs or ctn bacteria have caused intestinal enteropathy...Who knows. It may even just be that the calcium took a while to work, and it has nothing to do w/ the Q10. I'm just super GLAD you're doing so well mm & you've apparently found your unique combo of supps to help.
Seriously though, what brand of Q10 are you taking??
Talissa

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.