Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my biggest fears has just come true. I always thought that no matter how bad my C got I could always fall back on Glycerine Suppositories........... but I took one tonight and it hasnt worked
Ohh my god, where do I go from here when even suppositories dont work. I leave for Asia in 4 days
. I dont want to be C in in Asia.I wonder if I need a intestinal clean out by a doctor now.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
When things are too backed up,i use Dulcolax and within 5-7 hours it drain me.It can induce D but who cares!?You shouldn't travel while you're sick.Are you gonna take the plane sweet Poopea?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Poo Pea,As long as you are taking time release (or sustained) Vit C and bran why don't you also include taking 500mg of magnesium oxide before bedtime and another 250mg of magnesium oxide with breakfast and stay with it for at least a week to give it a chance?Take at least 5 grams of vit c and spread it out throughout the day so it stays in your body and doesnt just get pee'd away. Also take at least 3 ounces of Kellogg's All Bran for breakfast. This will give you 30 grams of fiber. Drink at least 4 large glasses of water throughout the day to soak that fiber which all that magnesium oxide will let in.

G

·
Ducolax suppositories work good. I use the tablets as well. Never heard any thing about vit C for C. Have to check that out.Sweetbon

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep im flying, I have to go because im going with one friend and we have already paid for the tickets. I would never do that to a friend.I would love to use magnesium, but we dont sell that here in Perth. Is there anything else similar to it?Ducolax? Is that a suppository too? Or a Tablet? Spasman, did it give u a tummy ahce as weel with the D?Poo Pea

G

·
IPoo Pea,Dulcolax comes in both forms. Suppository and in tablet form (oral) lol The suppositories work WAY better then the glycerin ones. Have a GREAT trip!Sweetbon

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Poopea,have you fly before?Bloating and flying does not works together.I would use a total clean out before my next fly.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
OMG Poopea why are you travelling sick?You know how much i care about you.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could never forgive myself for making my friend loose $1500 just becasue of my IBS. The lcuky thing is she understands my IBS (shes actually my room mate) and wont mind if Im a little to sick to do stuff while im there.Thats the horrid thing about IBS. Sometimes it not only effects you but can have a huge impact on you friends and family. Im hoping the Ducolax u mentioned works Spas Did u get any cramps, pain, nausea with it?Thanks for caring spas, I care about u too, god knows we need a little
Poo Pea

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
I take it early in the day to evoid nigth cramps.However,during the day i don't get much cramps from it.But i have urgency and D.Airports often have private bathroom for mom and babies.Use them if you feel bad.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I just took a Duralax suppository, the chemist agreed with you guys that it is a much stronger supp. Fingers crossed it will work.Boy will I be taking a concotion of things. I am back on the parachoc, im taking coloxyl stool softners, vitamin C and suppositories. Not including the bran. I tell ya, i dont know what im more affraid of.... that it wont work, or that I will have severe D with pain, cramps and vomiting. I never seem to get the happy medium. Im one or the other.Poo Pea

·
Registered
298 Posts
Poo pea , please stop taking the bran, I used to take heaps of it but it only made things worse because it turned out I was gluten intolerant. The cramps & pain were terrible because I had one part of the bowel desperate to work & another part locked in spasms.Try psyllium husks. They have no gluten, but have 8 times the amount of water absorbancy of bran so drink lots of water as well.Your colon is probably inflamed also due to the stress, intolerance & fullness.I found that Slippery Elm helps to soothe the whole GI tract & mangosteen juice reduced the inflammation to allow a good clearing out then normal stools to form afterwards.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dear Snakeoil,Slippery elm IS soothing to bowels but it also constipates. I've been using slippery elm bark for many years because it stops pain but -it was hard to admit- that it makes constipation worse. Dear Poopea, When I travel by aplane I always, always, alwayshave 7 days constipation, that I can stop by a huge enema only. Also in Asia you might not find good medical help. Think again. Happy BM

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Yeah wheat bran sucks!!!POOpea,I take Dulcolax in pill when needed.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
I mostly use glycerin suppositories.I don't know how i would react to Dulcolax in a suppo form.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey all,I finally had a BM this morning after taking parachoc last night, and I also used a glycerin supp this arvo and it work too. I feel better but still dont feel like its all gone.Spasman... i dont recommend the Ducolax Supps, they are harsh and they hurt!!! Especially if u have hemmi's or fissures. Tis a good idea to stick with the glycerine supps like you doing. Im really happy the glycerine one worked fro me again, they are gentle.Tanya... i had the same problem with slippery elm and physilium husks. Im thinking about buying Fennel tea I think thats supposed to help!!So at the moment im on Parachoc at night, coloxyl stool softners twice a day, slow release vitamin c twice a day and a supp when needed. I pray this works for a while to help my body get backninto the rythem of going to the toliet...... then will come the hard road of weening myself off them (best not to think about lol).Poo Pea

·
Registered
298 Posts
Because there are so many forms of C it is difficult to recommend something that may work for one & not another. However there does seem to be a distinct difference between those who form hard compacted stools that just will not shift, & other people who have spasms in different parts of the bowel which cause C. with limited evacuation, be it loose firm or even diahrrea . Obviously the medication & natural products recommended by us in good faith may not be the solution in some cases.I was one who suffered greatly from spasms, trapped gas, incomplete B.Ms , pressure in the anal region causing leakage & also PITA (pain in the ar-- syndrome) Sphincter muscle spasming & causing dull pain to keep me awake all night. Mangosteen juice regularly & peppermint capsules occasionally have improved my condition greatly & I get good BMs most of the time in spite of eating the occasional gluten laden or lactose spiced delicacy. The fact that I have a very thick colon wall compared to most people( thanks to cascara & antibiotics) means that the peristalsis is not as strong as normal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.