Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Well this is it. My subtotal colectomy will be Monday the 24th. I did end up meeting with Dr. Wald on Thursday. What a nice man and VERY knowlegeable. He feels that the colonic inertia is something that can only be treated with surgery and it is not going to get any better only worse. Needless to say, I am scared out of my mind. This will be my 3rd major surgery in 4 years and I dont know how I'm going to get through that prep and the NG tube again. I have heard that you can request a pediatric NG tube which is more comfortable?? I'll have to check into that. I wonder if there is anyone here who has had this surgery? if so.... please let me know!! Thanks everyone and Happy Easter !

G

·
I had 20 days of NG tube and did not find it so awful. Were you already informed that you need a NG tube, as some bowel surgeries do not require a NG tube. Char

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, Yes they did say I would need the NG tube, for a couple of days at least until your small bowel wakes up and starts working again. I will be thinking of you... maybe this is the answer that so many of us need. I have heard over and over again that it will finally give you your life back, so thats what I'm praying for! jody

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a subtotal colectomy for colonic inertia in 2001. I would never recomend it to anyone. I have had severe pain over the past five years that has been much worse than the pain before the surgery. It is due to excessive scar tissue. I am 42 years old and have a wonderful husband and two beautiful children who suffer when the pain flares up! Please think hard before this surgery and use all available options. Take care all.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
***Please chew gum after your surgery,your bowel will restart sooner.Check in the research section.This is true.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So what ever happened? Are you so great now that you forgot what it feels like? Please say "yes". I am recovering from rectocele repair surgery last week and my bowels are not able to evacuate. My GI says we'll work on this for a few months before we take out the colon. I'd appreciate a follow up on how thngs turned out for you!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Actually I did post my resuts from my surgery on several other threads. Yes, it has been the best thing i have EVER done. It has truly given me my life back. The true test was the transit study, where all of my markers did not move after 7 days. I also had all of the other testing done as well because fixing one problem will not solve everything if there is something else wrong. But for me, my only problem was no transit in the large intestine. Do NOT give up especially if your transit study comes back abnormal. good luck everyone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.