Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I am going to have surgery early next month to remove a small tumor from a salivary gland. What concerns me more than this recent cancer diagnosis and the surgery to get rid of it is my inability to take narcotics for the pain because of my IBS-C. Has anyone with IBS-C been in this situation and what did you do for your post- operative pain?
Thank you,Steve

·
Registered
722 Posts
HelloI understand what you are saying,i have the same problem,i am unable to take strong painkillers of any kind as they in themselves make me ill.The Hospital once did give me something during the operation i had,as they would not really listen to my concerns beforehand about how it would make me feel.What happened when i woke up,i vomited for 14hours!!it was awful,and my ibs totally messed up,just what i did not need!!I can usually manage to take paracetamol or they tried what you call wheaty bags,you heat them in the microwave and place them where the pain is.I have a high pain threshold,but you would think there should be something that they would have for people like us who cannot tolerate any type of pain relief.Have you spoken to the Surgeon/Doctor about it?What have they said,is there any sort of alternative you can be given?

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
steve- so sorry to hear about the tumor. hope your surgery goes well and eradicates the cancer. i can't take narcotics either. i discovered this when i broke my arm years ago. doc gave me one tylenol-3 and i was stopped up for days. horrible. didn't take any more after that and never took another opiod/narcotic again. the pain from the c is so much worse than injury/surgery pain. since then i've had a couple root canals, some female surgery and a breast biopsy without post-op narcotics. i can take ibupropen on a limited basis (reflux) and that took the edge off the pain a little plus a big help after the breast biospy was using ice packs---that helped relieve the pain. not sure if ice packs are a possibility for you??i read this article last year about how subcutaneous injections of methylnaltrexone (Relistor) can relieve constipation caused by opioid treatment. maybe that's an option you can discuss with your doc. and there may be other possibilities. good luck. will say a prayer for you. http://www.medpagetoday.com/PainManagement...anagement/14163diana--that's terrible the hospital would not listen to you and you had to go through all that!

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
oh, you are certainly right about that, diana! there are far too many docs who don't listen to their patient at all--they just spout out all their textbook learning and like you said--they think they are the expert, the authority and that they know best. and yes they should listen to us--after all, we're the ones who've been living in our bodies for so many years, experiencing our pain, trying to manage our illnesses and of course we really do know best how we personally react to meds etc. they need to give us credit for that and listen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Terrific information and many thanks for the words of support. I don't allow doctors to boss me around. I have a lot of experience with them and some need to know that they must treat you with respect or they will be fired. After all, they work for you. It riles me up when they "misbehave." Actually it makes me feel good to stand up to doctors who get out of line. I am lucky, most of the health-care professionals I have dealt with are excellent at what they do and sincerely care about their patients. So my advise is not to let anyone steamroller you.I am always surprised out how so little can be done for a condition, like IBS, that is so common. I also have real problem with antibiotics which I will need to take post op. Keflex and Cipro are on my no way am I going to take that list. Any thought on taking antibiotics would be welcome. I wonder if doubling up on my probiotic would help.My sister sent me this link regard treating IBS. Please let me know what you think. I have my doubts.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyma...b_b_576578.htmlThanks very much,Steve

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have had a lot of problems with antibiotics to.I had to take them quite a few years ago for a lung infection,but at the adult dose,they caused me side effects so i actually took them at a smaller dose,it took longer to take them,but i managed to finish the course,also it was liquid form i took them in.I have saw the 'cure ibs video',i am very sceptical,if it was that easy,surely a lot more professionals all over the country would know about it,and share the news with all sufferers.I do hope your surgery goes well.Take care.

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
i have a lot of trouble with some antibiotics too... i noticed the woman in the article had ibs-d. so maybe this method is primarily helpful to d-types? not sure if it would help many of us c people. unless the c was caused by bacteria. there have been discussions about sibo on the board...sounds like that's what he's talking about? i do seem to remember that quite a while ago one board member said rifaximin made his c worse...but then again anything is worth a try...as long as one can tolerate the antibiotics..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.