Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone direct me to references for surgically induced IBS? Specifically, IBS caused by major abdominal surgery. According to my GI doc, this is fairly common but I have not been able to find any references / research that supports this.

G

·
I had very mild IBS until I had my 2 bowel surgeries. Now it is awful and the first remarks from my Doctors were now you have IBS. Had some more diagnostic tests to make sure all was well with the bowel resection. It just confirmed that all was functioning and I have IBS. The penalty for the surgeries I had to have for the bowel obstructions is IBS.But I am still upright and breathing.Char

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have done some reading about lots of adhesions after abdominal surgery being a cause of IBS, among other things. I know I did a search on google one time and came up with lots of info, including a support group.That makes sense--last December my ob/gyn attempted to do a laparoscopy on me and he said I had so many adhesions he couldn't get the laparascope through them so he could see anything.

G

·
Very good question Perplexed, anyhow I was a emergency with small bowel obstruction and the first surgery cleared up adhesions and removal of omentum. Small bowel is difficult to handle and after the first surgery the small bowel twisted and that resulted in a 18 inch resection. This is a common result when bowel is handled. Plus the small bowel does not like being handled. It was a nasty experience. Thanks for asking, Char

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,My name is Mary and I think I'm at the same place you are. This is my 3rd resection for Crohn's and I also may now have IBS. I really jope not. But if you get more info could you please let me know. I see my gastro next week. If he has any bright ideas I will let you know.Mary

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Mary,Thanks for responding about my question concerning surgically induced IBS. I hope that you have success with your GI and that he/she can direct you to some literature concerning surgically induced IBS. If so, I would be very happy to know about it. I am going to do a medline search when I have time to see if anything appears in GI journals. if / when I am successful I will pass on any info to you (It may take some time). I have not found anything specific on google search although one site did casually mention that a certain percentage of people first experience IBS during or shortly after recovery from abdominal surgery. Unfortunately I did not make note of the site!LaurieJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.