Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weel, I am sitting here at home, 3 days post-op from an emergency appendectomy! I woke up around 1:00 Tuesday morning with what I thought was one of my IBS attacks. I had the same horrible gas pain feeling and the sharp pains throughout my whole abdomen. It started high up in my diaphragm, so I never suspected appendicitis. I took two Phazyme pills which did nothing. I writhed around in pain all night, and around 6:00 the vomiting started and I realized that I could not lift my right leg or stand up straight without horrible pain in my right lower navel. I was brought to the ER at 9:00 and was in surgery by 1:00! Boy was I shocked. I thought that maybe it was my gallbladder, since I had the CCK test last month, and was shown to have an 18% ejection fraction. My surgeon said that my appendix was calcified and had scar tissue from numerous previous attacks. He said that maybe this was causing all my stomach and gallbladder ailments. I hope so! I will keep everyone posted! I would also like to know, How many of you with IBS have had your appendix out? Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Wow. I'm so sorry you were in such agony. I haven't had my appendix removed but if there is a remote chance it could be linked to this stupid, hateful, life-sucking syndrome called IBS I'd have mine removed in a heartbeat.Be sure to let us know.I hope your recovery time is fast and that you feel lots better.Laurie

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have had my appendix out but it was due to IBS that I had issues with it..I am IBS C and was so impacted that my appendix ended up getting infected and like you I thought I was having a bad attack then went into the ER and bam in surgery.,...it has not made my IBS better, but hopefully for you it will be different...since you had scar tissue and signs of previous issues...so do you know if they used lasers or did it the old way?? I'm curious only because tehy used lasers for mine and the healing time and scar are much faster and smaller than others I know who have had appendectomys years ago...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had mine out 2 years ago. Actually almost to this day. I also thought it was IBS. When I couldnt pick up my right leg anymore I finally went to the er. They checked me for everything and sent me home with a UTI. I tried telling them that it wasnt. Im kind of an expert on them. Two days later I ended up at my doctor. He had his surgeon meet me at the hospital and 2 hours later I was waking up from surgery. They said it was filled with gang green(sp?). They wanted to know why I didnt come sooner. Duh!

·
Registered
225 Posts
angelk753, I hear you. On days when I'm having a bad attack of IBS sometimes I know for sure it's IBS but on days like yesterday it was sure hard to tell. I felt sick, weak, and fatigued but chalked it up to IBS anyway because I usually feel that way on an IBS flare-up day anyway. Yesterday was a little worse than normal and I thought, "What if something else is wrong? How would I know?" I can't run to the doctor every time I have an attack or else I'd be bankrupt. Sometimes like yesterday I do wish I had thought to have a blood test to see if I had a virus or something...

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I have had my appendix out a few years ago. I also had a meckel's diverticulectomy, kidney stones and gall stones. (no gall bladder no more!) My gut looks like Zorro got it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Feeling slightly better! Still can't stand up straight! Thanks for your good wishes. I had my appendix out the old-fashioned way, because my surgeon was afraid that it was ruptured. Still, I only have a 2-inch scar (but it HURTS!) My surgeon said that it was gangrenous and full of adhesions! Lovely! Good riddance!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.