Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about 16 years, I have been told that I have IBS-D. Loose stool, frequent pain after BM, gas, cramping, etc. I have been managing things with a daily dose of Imodium. I have had several colonoscopies (last one 6 years ago), endoscopy, blood and stool test and nothing was ever found. The pain has gotten worse and more frequent in the past year, so I decided to try IBS-Smart, the new blood test for IBS-D. Since my insurance wouldn't cover it, I had to pay for it out of pocket.
I finally got my results back and to my surprise, it indicated that both of my antibodies (Anti-CdtB Ab and Anti-Vinculin Ab) were within the normal range. This, according to the report, indicates that " Patient may not have post-infectious IBS. and patient may be a candidate for additional testing to determine the cause of symptoms)
I took the report to my new gastroenterologist and he said these tests have not been approved for widespread use and are in the "beta testing" stage. Regardless, he wants to do a whole battery of tests including colonoscopy, endoscopy, blood and stool test as well as the one where you take a camera pill.
Now I am more confused than ever, and a little worried. If you have had a similar (or not too similar) experience or have any input, I'd like to hear it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Never heard of those particular tests, nor of IBS-Smart. I recently started seeing a gastroenterologist and the primary screenings we performed were a colonoscopy (worthwhile, as it turns out I had a per-cancerous colon polyp) to look for signs of IBD / Chron's and a Celiac Disease Ab screen w/ Rfx to rule out Celiac disease. Both were negative / unremarkable. Tried a 2 week treatment of Xifxan with some limited results, but disappointing overall given the hype (aside from fixing an odd issue I had with getting constipated on the weekends, I didn't notice much else).

Currently on Viberzi, which I'm still getting used to. Seems I may be overly sensitive to the medication, as it tends to back me up if I take the full dosage (tried both 75 mg once in the morning and once at night, as well as 100 mg, same dosing schedule). 50 mg once in the morning seems to be working fairly well for the time being.

My two cents, I'd be very hesitant of doing that full battery of tests they're recommending. Some (like the colonoscopy and blood tests) may not be a bad idea just to be safe. That said, keep in my many of these GI docs have a business arrangement with the colonoscopy / endoscopy centers and may have an ulterior motive for ordering some of these things.

I personally requested a stool test as well just for piece of mind, but haven't had an opportunity to follow up on that. My GI doc actually pushed back on this, saying it was highly unlikely. Unfortunately my understanding is there's often no visible signs that will "confirm" IBS, only rule out other, more serious conditions such as Chron's / UC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts