Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my turn to do a survey? I'm just wondering what types of pains we all get, and where we feel them.Generally when my spasming starts I feel it on the lower left side, and it feels like something is twisted there. Occasionally it feels like my whole intestines is spasming and it feels like labor pains. Luckily that it happening less and less.I'm curious as to what people do for the pain while they're having it. I like using a heating pad but it's managed to disappear something in my apartment, so I'll have to get another one.JeanG------------------Member of "The Advance Guard for the Ozone Rangers".May the "farce" be with you. JeanG

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I get mine on the left also and it feels like a charlie horse. It sometimes moves around but basically stays on the left.I sometimes apply a pressure point there.Sleep and relaxing to stop it.I haven't had to many lately though from four times a week average to three in three months
.------------------ http://webpotential.com/ericibs/index.htm

G

·
My pain is either on my left side or across my pelvic area. I do get lower back aches often which feel like I got kicked in the kidneys.During an episode, it just hurts. I hurts so much that I have an urdge to cry out for someone. Thw only thing that helps me get through an episode is to shake my leg very fast or read something. Since my episodes stick me on the toilet for quite a long time I always have books in there to read.

G

·
for the most part i feel like Jellybean. Although throughout the day I get these intense sharp pains, sort of inside my stomach but below my stomach. (Did i confuse anyone there??
Anyway I get these pains everyday and lately more often then before, and there very painful. Although im glad to say they last only a few seconds.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Knock on wood, I have no pain, never had. Just D, sometimes C/D, and urgency. Of course during a bad episode I will have the typical cramping associated with D, but I would not include pain as one of my symptoms.

·
Registered
51 Posts
JeanG,When I get that pain on the left side, I know that it is time to find a comfortable bathroom. I also get pain that is more centralized and more like cramping. Most of the time I take a couple of Excedrin and hope for the best. I try very hard to not let the pain stop me, I try to talk myself through the pain. If I know I am going to have an episode I stay home, but all things considered, it doesn't send me to bed.

G

·
For the past month the pain hasnt left my left side. Everything from Tylenol to Donnatol wont completely eliminate the pain. I do get most relief from laying down in a fetal position and putting some pain relief gel (icy hot, flex-all, etc) on the area that hurts.

G

·
I also have to agree with Jellybean. My pains are mostly severe cramping in my pelvic area. I also get bad lower back pain when my attacks are bad. Jean, I also use a heating pad for the pain in my stomach. It helps me when I lie down in a fetal position on my left side.

G

·
Well, I've got to be different I guess... my pain is mostly on the upper right side or the middle of my stomach, with occasional cramps on the left upper side and then moving down. The pain on the right is almost always there, unless I am totally relaxed.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I get mine mostly directly below my belly button and they comeonslow, gradually building up to intense pain that prevents me from standing up straight. I have to walk all hunched over because my stomach is spasming so badly. (My unbelieving mother thinks this is just a dramatic effect, the b**ch)Like jellybean, I shake my leg really fast and that helps, also trying to breath into it and relax it, big belly breaths, sometimes help too. If all else fails, it's levsin, lomotil and bed.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
My pain is also on the lower left side, however on really bad days it travels across the whole lower abdominal area. The only relief from the pain is if I'm lucky enough to have a good BM, which most times doesn't happen. I have learned to live with it...but it stinks!
------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of your responses so far! People have interesting ways of coping and there are some things there that I may want to try.I have both diverticulosis and IBS, and even though they say you don't feel the diverticulosis much I sure do! So it's always a question of which I'm feeling -- the IBS or that.I appreciate all your posts! Please keep them coming.
JeanG------------------Member of "The Advance Guard for the Ozone Rangers".May the "farce" be with you. JeanG[This message has been edited by JeanG (edited 03-08-2000).]

·
Registered
318 Posts
The majority of my pain is also on the left side, but not just in the lower quadrant. Then, during an attack of D, I get very sharp, ripping pain on my right side. I have a near constant pain right below my belly button; can't wear any hosiery whatsoever. I also have lower back pains. A heating pad is my best friend - I have 3, which includes 1 at work. I also have pants with side closures (I call them my fat pants) so no zippers or buttons are pressing on my distended belly. I've tried dissolving my Levsin under the tongue but I've found it only prolongs my attacks. Psychologically, I tell the D to get out of me during an attack, then I always reassure myself that the D will never hurt me again. Doing Mike's tapes, I periodically during the day catch flashes of me "adjusting the wheel" to control the peristalsis without even thinking about it - the images just come to me.

G

·
Fortunately, I have had very little pain lately, just a few mild cramps some mornings. But when this all started I had BAD pains almost everywhere from my chest all the way down. The worst was the pain directly behind my belly button. I read somewhere that that spot is considered the "diarrhea pain center" and that if you rub your belly button with your thumb for a few minutes it will help. I did that a lot and it really worked, although it is only a temporary relief. But it did help stop a diarrhea episode long enough to find a bathroom, at least for me.I also had a lot of pain in my back and hips. I remember when I first went to my GI and told her I was in all this pain. She scoffed at me and said that there was NO reason for me to be having any pain and that I was hiding something going on in my life from her. This just wasn't true! (As all of you who have experienced pain, you know I am right about that.)Being doubled over in pain has to be one of the worst parts of this syndrome. I am certainly glad to have gotten relief from that.

G

·
yes, most of my pain is in my left side but also most of my gut in general. I'm suprisedthat someone can have the D with no pain. I could handle that, my weakness is the pain. The only thing that helps is breathing exc. or some kava.

G

·
Like AZ, I have never had pain with my D. It is just that it is explosive and so urgent that when I am at my worst I quite often don't make it from one end of the house to the other, much less home in the car, etc. I never leave the house, except for work (where I have sole possession of the bathrooms), without protection.I'm giving the calcium another try. My doctor's office has recommended 1500 mg. for my old bones anyway, so that has given me more reason to stick with it!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hi,interesting survey! I have a sort of dull pain in my lower right side every day. Some days it get worse with really sharp pains and cramping. My GERD give me pain under my ribs and nausea.Mio

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
This is an interesting survey Jean, I am like Britta on this and mine can last anywhere between 1 hour and eight hours and I cannot walk while its happening.I have found that I can turn it off faster now since the hyypnotherapy and I rarely get it. It can also cripple me then go away almost as fast as it came and then my side feels like I have been punched and is sore.Afterwards I can be starving which i think is weird and also sometimes just touching food to my tongue can make it go away which I also find weird and goes to show me personally that it is a chemical/electrical short somehow and the hypersensitivity issue.------------------ http://webpotential.com/ericibs/index.htm

G

·
I'm in pain right now....its stretching right across my entire abdomen, from just about the navel down, it feels like someone is pumping a balloon up inside me and the pressure is just building and building. When I am suffering with C, I get alot of pain, sharp and dull on the left side. I do not gets cramps, just alot of pain that feels like intense pressure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Interesting survey. I have contant pain on the left side just under my rib. I also get crampy pains on my lower left side. When these pains get to severe i need enemas to relieve them, even after a D episode. It works for me

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.