Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this sounds a bit gross but im worried about the color of my stool. For the past four weeks my stools haven't been of normal color. They are mostly yellowish and and have a diahrreha like consitency to them. Sometimes (if im constipated) my BM are hard and greenish. I saw my doctor a couple weeks ago (when she told me i had IBS) and she said it was b/c of the foods i eat, but i've been eating different foods. Im just wondering if this is a symtom of IBS or if i should go see my doctor again. If someone could help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Stool color is almost always related to the food you eat, and perhaps some of the consistancy. And people eating the same food may have different colors so it might vary with the colonic environment (does colorant A hit right pH to oxidize to brown...that sort of chemical type of thing)Yellowish brown through greenish are all normal range of stool color. If that makes you feel any better.Usually the only color to be concerned about is black and tarry. (bleeding from upper GI tract)K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Stool color is almost always related to the food you eat, and perhaps some of the consistancy. And people eating the same food may have different colors so it might vary with the colonic environment (does colorant A hit right pH to oxidize to brown...that sort of chemical type of thing)Yellowish brown through greenish are all normal range of stool color. If that makes you feel any better.Usually the only color to be concerned about is black and tarry. (bleeding from upper GI tract)K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kmottus. But do you know why the change would last for over a month? Is it still normal? Sorry if i sound over concerned but im kind of a hypochondriac. My IBS symptoms have calmed down but my stools havent returned to their usual color.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kmottus. But do you know why the change would last for over a month? Is it still normal? Sorry if i sound over concerned but im kind of a hypochondriac. My IBS symptoms have calmed down but my stools havent returned to their usual color.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It could be a chemistry of the bowel thing...the pH is slightly different, or some other physiological factor is different. I know it is worrying (it is so easy to become very obsessed with what goes in the toilet bowl
), but these sorts of color change seem to be harmless.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It could be a chemistry of the bowel thing...the pH is slightly different, or some other physiological factor is different. I know it is worrying (it is so easy to become very obsessed with what goes in the toilet bowl
), but these sorts of color change seem to be harmless.K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.