Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ,

I am 32 year old female suffering from IBS-D for about 6 years now. My main symptoms were incomplete bowel evacuation , having to rush to the toilet after meals , flatulence.

i noticed a difference after my doctor put me on Elavil(25mg) about 2 years ago. The urgency/need to go to the toilet after a meal no longer persisted.

However the flatulence remained . I experience flatulence which does not necessarily lead to a bowel movement.

Have been trying anti spasmodic for the last 3 months but do not see a major difference in the persistent gas/flatulence.

Has anybody else noticed a change in symptoms after anti-spasmodics or anybody with a similar view on medications for IBS ? Your inputs would be greatly appreciated , thanks in advance !

·
Registered
659 Posts
I didn't get much relief from anti-spasmodics. I take lomotil or motofen for diarrhea and they help some with the gas. I have found that gas is the hardest to get any relief. I've tried just about everything and still have the problem for over 40 years. It sucks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well count yourself lucky that the Elavil at least helps with some of your symptoms. Never did much for me. And yes...gas is always an issue for me. I might get relief for a day if I dope up on Imodium...but it doesn't last. In fact I can tell when I'm going to have a bad day gas horrible gas preceeds it by a day or two.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't get much relief from anti-spasmodics. I take lomotil or motofen for diarrhea and they help some with the gas. I have found that gas is the hardest to get any relief. I've tried just about everything and still have the problem for over 40 years. It sucks.
Thank you for your input @bushja1. I will keep you posted if i catch a break with the flatulence/gas with any further medication I try.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well count yourself lucky that the Elavil at least helps with some of your symptoms. Never did much for me. And yes...gas is always an issue for me. I might get relief for a day if I dope up on Imodium...but it doesn't last. In fact I can tell when I'm going to have a bad day gas horrible gas preceeds it by a day or two.
Thank you for your input @AZGuy. I will keep you posted if i catch a break with the flatulence/gas with any further medication I try.

·
Registered
275 Posts
What is your dosing amounts and frequency for the motofen and lomotil? Do you take them daily or as needed? I have both meds but I can never seem to figure out something that works for me.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I take them as a preventative. I'm semi retired so if I'm not working or going somewhere that bathrooms are scarce I don't take either. Motofen is so expensive that usually I'll take one in the morning and supplement it every four hours or so with lomotil...rarely more that 4 a day. If I'm traveling or going to a concert or ballgame I will take motofen exclusively since it seems more effective. My biggest fear is having diarrhea in the middle of a concert or at a Cubs game. And flying of course.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I take them as a preventative. I'm semi retired so if I'm not working or going somewhere that bathrooms are scarce I don't take either. Motofen is so expensive that usually I'll take one in the morning and supplement it every four hours or so with lomotil...rarely more that 4 a day. If I'm traveling or going to a concert or ballgame I will take motofen exclusively since it seems more effective. My biggest fear is having diarrhea in the middle of a concert or at a Cubs game. And flying of course.
I've never combined Motofen and Lomotil. I usually always default to Imodium...but lately I've noticed I take it, it doesn't help till the next day and I still have urgency and them usually a few days later I have a bad episode.

Maybe i'll try your method. My Motofen is only $45. I think my doctor did something with my insurance to make it cheaper. Not sure how he did that.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Unfortunately I'm on Medicare so I can't get any help with Motofen. For some reason the pharmaceutical industry punishes seniors. It's not just Motofen but I have the same problem with other prescriptions. If I wasn't on a government program like Medicare I could get a card that would pay much of the cost. Of course my part D supplement won't cover Motofen. I often think of retiring in some other country. Our health care system is totally screwed up....sorry for the rant. Anyway I wish Imodium helped me but it just gives me abdominal pain. I should be clear that I would prefer just to take Motofen. I'm not saying that combining it with Lomotil is better. It is purely a cost thing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Unfortunately I'm on Medicare so I can't get any help with Motofen. For some reason the pharmaceutical industry punishes seniors. It's not just Motofen but I have the same problem with other prescriptions. If I wasn't on a government program like Medicare I could get a card that would pay much of the cost. Of course my part D supplement won't cover Motofen. I often think of retiring in some other country. Our health care system is totally screwed up....sorry for the rant. Anyway I wish Imodium helped me but it just gives me abdominal pain. I should be clear that I would prefer just to take Motofen. I'm not saying that combining it with Lomotil is better. It is purely a cost thing.
Talk to your doctor that prescribes it. I'm on Medicare too, well a Medicare Advantage plan through United Healthcare. My doctor must have done something cause I only pay $45 for a 30-day supply of Motofen and get it at my local Walgreen's.

·
Registered
659 Posts
From what I'm told your Medicare Advantage is the difference. Since you get it through United Healthcare it isn't considered a government plan. They tried everything to help me to no avail. Most other drugs he said he could give me enough samples to help with the cost but because of the Motofen is higher on the controlled substance scale he doesn't get samples. Too many federal hoops to get through. I'm paying about $300 for 40 pills. I talked to my part D supplement people and they hope at some point they will cover it. They claim it's so new they don't yet. The bad thing is that is really isn't new, I guess it was off the market for awhile and a new company started manufacturing it again so it appears as a new drug.

·
Registered
275 Posts
From what I'm told your Medicare Advantage is the difference. Since you get it through United Healthcare it isn't considered a government plan. They tried everything to help me to no avail. Most other drugs he said he could give me enough samples to help with the cost but because of the Motofen is higher on the controlled substance scale he doesn't get samples. Too many federal hoops to get through. I'm paying about $300 for 40 pills. I talked to my part D supplement people and they hope at some point they will cover it. They claim it's so new they don't yet. The bad thing is that is really isn't new, I guess it was off the market for awhile and a new company started manufacturing it again so it appears as a new drug.
I'm told the pharmacy benefits are the exact same as regular Medicare. Medicare Advantage plans must adhere to medicare Part D plans. I tried to get Motofen before on this same plan and couldn't. Then I saw this new doctor and it was $45. So I dont know. Hope you can figure it!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm told the pharmacy benefits are the exact same as regular Medicare. Medicare Advantage plans must adhere to medicare Part D plans. I tried to get Motofen before on this same plan and couldn't. Then I saw this new doctor and it was $45. So I dont know. Hope you can figure it!
Did you get a discount card from your doctor? I hate to change doctors.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did you get a discount card from your doctor? I hate to change doctors.
No discount card. Its not the company's discount program. I did nothing. They still billed through my insurance. Doctor called in my script to Walgreen's and I went in and picked it up like any other script.

Why it was cheaper I have no idea but I remember the nurse assistant said they did something to get me the drug. Thats all I know.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am also on Medicare and my pharmacy is Walgreens. If you are a member of the Auto Club, on page 19 or so of their monthly magazine, there is a prescription benefit card/advertisement. With nothing more than that page, Walgreens supplies me with a couple hundred Motofen for about $48 (at least here in California). Hope this is helpful!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Are you covered by a Mei

I am also on Medicare and my pharmacy is Walgreens. If you are a member of the Auto Club, on page 19 or so of their monthly magazine, there is a prescription benefit card/advertisement. With nothing more than that page, Walgreens supplies me with a couple hundred Motofen for about $48 (at least here in California). Hope this is helpful!
Are you covered by a Medicare Part D supplement? I haven't been able to use any benefit cards because I am enrolled in a government program. I would be better off if I didn't have the supplement but then you pay a penalty for not being in one. Catch 22. It sucks being old. I will definitely check this out though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Folks ,

As promised , I would like to update on the results of my experiments with "Anti-spasmodics". The doctor recommended that I take them for 3 months but i did not notice any difference at all. They did not work for me .

I stopped the anti-spasmodic s completely (even though the doctor(gastro) urged me to take it for a couple of more months) and in most probability , I will be ditching that doctor as well because nothing he says has worked .

An acquaintance of mine who was also suffering from IBS recommended probiotics. I have been on probiotics for two weeks now and i see a DRASTIC difference in the bloating and gas.I will continue the course and keep you folks posted on my progress.

In the meantime @AZGuy and @bushja1 : Have you'll tried probiotics ? It is working wonders for me and i urge you try it out if you have not done so already. I could list out the names of the good bacteria in the specific probiotic that I am taking if you would like to know , please let me know...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Same with me, no improvement with probiotics, and usually some worsening. However that is probably the best thing to take if it helps you!! Especially if it means you can eat a variety of foods. Do you restrict your diet at all Kenny?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts