Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All,I have just registered after reading these boards for the past year.I have been an IBS-D sufferer for the last 25 years. I have recently developed panic attacks due to an accident while traveling. I would like to start taking anti -anxiety meds, but I am on sythroid. Is anyone taking these meds together and which one for anti- anxiety ?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
In my opinion you should first have your thyroid levels tested (specifically the Free T4 and Free T3 lab tests) done before you think about adding any anti-anxiety meds.We are all born with a "set point" for thyroid hormone. When it is off in either direction...too high or too low it will make us symptomatic.It is not uncommon to have to adjust a dose of synthroid quite frequently...as our bodies change our need for thyroid hormone replacement meds can also change.But remember, a TSH test is not enough...you will need the Free T4 and Free T3 test also. Both hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism can cause extreme anxiety among many other symptoms.Here is an article on the new recommended reference range for the TSH test: http://www.thyroidtoday.com/TTLibrary/curr...0Newsletter.pdf

1 - 2 of 2 Posts