Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that from reading many of these posts IBS sufferers have been receiving some relief from antibiotic (AB) use. In some cases completely eliminating their symptoms. Yet in a few, symptoms seemed to worsen. To provide us sufferers of IBS a better feel for the success or failure of AB use in this forum, we ask that those who have taken AB's (including flagy/metronidazole) would respond to the following brief 2 questions. If you are not sure what you took was an AB or not please answer questions 1 and 2 but say so in the comment section and please make sure to give the name of the medication. If you have used AB therapy more than once please answer question #2 as to the most recent time. We will post the summarized results. Thanks for your help~~1. I have used AB therapy ____ times.2. Since using AB's your symptoms:a. have completely gone. It's been___months since taking the AB'sb. went away during AB's, then returned ___months laterc. were no different, I ended AB's___months agod. made my symptoms worse, however the symptoms returned to their former level____months after AB's stoppede. were worsened and have stayed that way even after stoping the AB's. How long has it been since you stopped AB's____Please answer as a post, as follows:#1 ___no times#2 a,b,c,d,e and ___months#3 Antibiotic(s) taken#4 Any Comments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey -- My answers are below.#1 _0__no times#2 a,b,c,d,e and _0__months#3 Antibiotic(s) taken - Nulev, and some other liquid anti-spasmotic which makes me go to sleep. I also have been on Celexa which screwed up my system. Vicodin works well as a means of shutting down my system and restarting it later.Leslie

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have taken antibiotics several times over a period of years. Flagyl two times or more, yes relief but not long lasting. Never totally gone with Flagyl. Cephalosporin made my intestinal symptoms worse but I was taking this for something else. It was followed by Cipro which immediately cleard up all symptoms but did return in a few months. At least, for several months I was symptom free and could drink milk and eat ice cream. This wears off and I return to all IBS eventually.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I took Flagyl about 5 times. The first time, a 10-day course dramatically improved my condition, but symptoms did not completely disappear. I had a relapse a month afterwards after overindulging on rice cakes that somehow must have damaged gut. Over a year later, another 10-day course of Flagyl improved symptoms, but not to the same degree as the first time. Six months later, trying to reintroduce gluten into my diet brought a very bad relapse. The other times I tried Flagyl, and also Tinidazole, my "IBS" symptoms worsened. Side-effects also got worse each time. I also tried Cipro (alone and in combination with Flagyl) and Amoxicillin, both of which worsened my condition. Recovery from antibiotics that made my symptoms worse took about 2-3 weeks.- At the moment I am taking enteric-coated Nystatin (have been for 3 months now). It is helping, but I'm not sure whether this is because of its antifungal or antibiotic properties.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Antibiotics helped me twice.The first time I was treated for HPylori and was on two antibiotics. I thought I was cured. It lasted a couple of months.Second time I was on neomycin. This "cure" lasted about a month.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I took Ceclor when having dental work done a couple of years ago and was having bad IBS-d at the time, and it went away!! I have used ceclor on and off since them, when I have a bad episode of IBS-D, it usually takes care of it, at least temporarily, especially for a bad flare-up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Since we are discussing medications, I would like to mention that Flagyl/Metrodiaznole does also treat some fungal diseases. I definitely have the longest lasting effects when I take Cipro. Annem

·
Registered
399 Posts
1. I have used AB therapy ____ times.2 times - neomycin sulfate, doxycycline2. Since using AB's your symptoms:a. have completely gone. It's been___months since taking the AB'sLactose intolerance went away after neomycin sulfate 500mg 2x/day for 10 days. Perhaps it didn't because I followed up with enteric coated acidophilus which colonized in the small intestine and assists in the digestion of lactose.Stools are improved, but still coming out skinny, clumped and sometimes in pieces. Now my LI is back - and I'm sensitive enough to be set off by trace amounts.
Doxycycline 500mg for 7 days. It didn't do much. Seems to make the probiotic for LI more effective.b. went away during AB's, then returned ___months later1 month later on neomycin. c. were no different, I ended AB's___months agoEnded neomycin over a month ago, the doxy a week ago.skinny

·
Registered
11 Posts
#1 Several times#2 c - 28 mos ago#3 Flagyl, Cipro, Septra, etc.#4 I have been prescribed several ABs in the past 15 years, for anything from "gastroenteritis", to "kidney infections", to who-knows-what-else (sorry but I cannot remember all the names) until I was diagnosed with IBS almost 3 yrs ago. Nothing made my symptoms go away.A couple of years ago I was hospitalized for 14 days for terrible abd pain and extra-severe D. Besides feeding me intravenously for 10 days, I was prescribed Flagyl and Cipro (I think that's the equivalent of the med they gave me here). The Flagyl made me even sicker (and with a lot more problems than just the abd ones. I really did not like what that med was doing to me!!). I can't say that these meds have helped at all as I still struggle with IBS (now alternating C and D) and abd pain. Hope this helps your survey. Ciao

G

·
I''ve become seriously allergic (life-threatening reactions) to all but one antibiotic from overusing them. Because of that, I've had to alter my lifestyle to stay healthy. Better diet, avoiding people who I know might have something bacterial (like strep throat), etc. It's a hard way to live, since there's always the chance that someone could give me a bacterial infection that doctors can't easily treat. However, taking one capsule of Culturelle each day (recommended by my doctor as well as some nationally-known doctors such as Dr. Andrew Weil) has helped my IBS immensely. I've done this for over a year, and can even eat small amounts of previously forbidden foods, like ice cream or broccoli. An added bonus...no more yeast infections. Have any of you tried this? Might be worth a trial.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have been on Flagyl several different times...not for IBS...but something other...but it always takes care of my IBS...Not one symptom while on it...in fact it is the opposite...constipating...which is actually kind of nice for a change...as soon as I am finished with it though the symptoms come right back...I have to wonder what is in there that helps the IBS so much....Kat

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Lactose intolerance went away after neomycin sulfate 500mg 2x/day for 10 days. Perhaps it didn't because I followed up with enteric coated acidophilus which colonized in the small intestine and assists in the digestion of lactose
You had lactose intolerance? Your testing indicated otherwise.

·
Registered
399 Posts
quote:How can there be any connectgion between antibiotics and LI?
Bacteria that eats lactose and produces gas may be wiped out during an antibiotic. They may interfere with the production of lactase enzyme on the brush border villi. Once the bacteria is eliminated, lactose may be digested properly.skinny

·
Registered
152 Posts
My lactose intolerance also disappeared while on Cipro and Amocicillin. It started disappearing the dayI started taking Cipro and the medicine that first time was for something else. Symptoms of IBS & LI were gone for a lng time after taking the Cipro. Not all antibiotics help, I took Pen-Vee K penicillin for a tooth and it didn't touch the IBS or LI at all. But, it sure attacks some bacteria that should not be there, or in the amount it is causing bad problems. Annem

·
Registered
399 Posts
bonniei: As far as lactose intolerance, it can be reversed by chronic consumption. I corresponded with a lady who had severe LI (but no IBS). She had gotten smelly gas symptoms from trace amounts of lactose. She found out that a sip of milk wouldn't give her gas, so each day for breakfast she had a spoon of milk in her soy milk/cereal. Each week she would increase the amount - when she increased it too much, she would get gas. Over the course of a year, she got to the point where she was using only milk in her cereal. After that, her LI symptoms went away and she can enjoy dairy as a normal person.I tried a similar experiment which I detailed on this board except I did it in a span of two months. My experiment was a failure, but I think it is to SIBO or some bacteria causing the problem.As far as antibiotics, it's worth a try if you are willing to take the risks. I followed up on someone who used to post here. He had IBS for 3 years and did a round of amoxicillan for 2 weeks. A year and a half later, he's still having normal stools daily and normal amounts of gas. You hardly hear of success stories on antibiotics. I think it's because they are moving on with life and enjoying it as a normal functioning GI person.Oh yeah, I'm on amoxicillan 500mg 3x a day for 10 days now.
skinny

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.