Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...In the past year, my senses of smell and taste have diminished greatly. I put this down to aging (just celebrated my 50th birthday), but I'm wondering if it might have any relation to the IBS (D), which got a lot worse about 3 years ago, a little better about a year ago, and then has been nasty for about 6-8 months.Is the fading taste/smell at this time a coincidence or have others noticed that prolonged bouts of IBS dim this or other senses?Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!Love,Lydia

·
Registered
228 Posts
I haven't had any problem with taste and smell and I'm 65 and have been fighting this stuff for a long time. In fact sometimes my smell and taste is too good and so I end up eating something I'm not supposed
Taffy

·
Registered
228 Posts
I haven't had any problem with taste and smell and I'm 65 and have been fighting this stuff for a long time. In fact sometimes my smell and taste is too good and so I end up eating something I'm not supposed
Taffy

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I can't answer your question about decreased sense of taste and smell, but I know that the taste of a food has a HUGE impact on my IBS. Foods I like the taste of do not give me problems as much as ones I hate. Often, foods I dislike make me nauseated and bloated. I once heard that a bad taste or smell decreases enzymes needed for digestion of the particular food, but I don't know if I believe it. I just know that I've got to like a food to be able to tolerate it. Even so, I've had to limit a few things I like.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I can't answer your question about decreased sense of taste and smell, but I know that the taste of a food has a HUGE impact on my IBS. Foods I like the taste of do not give me problems as much as ones I hate. Often, foods I dislike make me nauseated and bloated. I once heard that a bad taste or smell decreases enzymes needed for digestion of the particular food, but I don't know if I believe it. I just know that I've got to like a food to be able to tolerate it. Even so, I've had to limit a few things I like.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I don't know of a connection to losing taste and smell, soomething else maybe causing that for you.Taste and smell can set off IBS though.This is the Russian physiologist Pavlov and his experiment with conditioning.When you salivate the digestion is turning on waiting for food. http://riri.essortment.com/pavlovdogs_oif.htm ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I don't know of a connection to losing taste and smell, soomething else maybe causing that for you.Taste and smell can set off IBS though.This is the Russian physiologist Pavlov and his experiment with conditioning.When you salivate the digestion is turning on waiting for food. http://riri.essortment.com/pavlovdogs_oif.htm ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I wish everyone would loose their sense of smell.......
------------------You will never know that God is all you need....... until God is all you have. �� Prayer doesn't change God , it changes the one who prays..C type, with G

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I wish everyone would loose their sense of smell.......
------------------You will never know that God is all you need....... until God is all you have. �� Prayer doesn't change God , it changes the one who prays..C type, with G

·
Registered
922 Posts
Lydia, I'm 54 yrs old and the only time I experienced a loss of smell/taste was several yrs ago when I visited a P/doc and experimented with the AD and anxiety meds. Some of those meds caused a dulling of senses, change of eyesight, problems with hearing also. The benzo meds are known for dumbing down the senses, that's how they work to reduce anxiety, by lessening the sensual load on the brain. Norb

·
Registered
922 Posts
Lydia, I'm 54 yrs old and the only time I experienced a loss of smell/taste was several yrs ago when I visited a P/doc and experimented with the AD and anxiety meds. Some of those meds caused a dulling of senses, change of eyesight, problems with hearing also. The benzo meds are known for dumbing down the senses, that's how they work to reduce anxiety, by lessening the sensual load on the brain. Norb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.