Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 19-year old college student who has been dealing with the symptoms of IBS for nearly 3 years. My symptoms have made me almost completely anti-social
. I attend a historically black university which often times reminds me of high school all over again. You can imagine the embarrassment of my stomach sounds being louder than the professor. I have constant gas that often time presents itself during classes. It does not come out, but you here the sound. Most of the time the gas is so bad that I have to strain myself to keep it from coming out. I usually only have bowel movements every 3-4 days. I can't explain how it feels when a male wants to get close or intimate with me and all you here is gurgling and the sound of passing gas
. I have not been diagnosed by my physician, as a matter of fact, when I went for a check up to tell her about my problem, all of the sounds and symptoms were not presenting themselves at the time. I feel so alone and disgusted about my problem
. Someone please help me!!!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Oh Miss Jackson,
Welcome!! You are not alone and folks here do understand. In fact there is a special forum for just Young Adults. It is moderated by our ever-lovin Nikki. You can find it by using our "Hop To:" navigator at the bottom of the page here or just click here: http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...&f=41&submit=Go So hop on over there and meet some new friends who understand and can share with you.BQ

·
Registered
294 Posts
missJ,poor you, i've been exactly where you are and i know how awful it is. my symptoms kicked in in college and they were at their worst then. altho' i'm not fixed now, my problems aren't as bad as they were then: if i were you i'd concentrate on a lot of home-made soup, increase the protein in your diet and try some herbal anti-bacterials. now it may not help you like it's helped me (to some degree) but it's quick easy and worth a try.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Miss jackson, not to feel alone! I have EXACTLY the same problem as you. It really sucks so much that I now have a fear of ALL silent situations. It usually helps if I hve a light dinner, and two BMs in the morning. It hasnt been too serious until recently, and even then, I "have my days" Also, there was this one time I was sitting in a class with a girl I really liked, and yes, in complete silence, my stomach started playing up! It became so bad i had to "excuse myself from the class room". Off course, I had to return with everybody knowing exactly where I had been (including *her*). I hope she has forgotten it; I couldnt talk to her for weeks afterwards, and i never want to sit with her again, in case that happens! Ive never lived that one down!
Hope it improves for you.

·
Registered
709 Posts
missJ, i can totally relate too! it is awful, and my stomach always makes the most sound when i'm in a really quiet situation, like a lecture...so so embarrassing...it got so bad for me that i decided to take almost all my classes thru distance this past semester and this helped greatly. i'm gonna try to take a class 'normally' again this summer and i really hope my stomach has improved enough that it cooperates!i think i needed that time away from 'real' classes, to get my stomach sorted out and to work on my tendency to be over-stressed...just remember there is not only ONE way to do things in life...sometimes you need to take a different route, if but temporarily, to get to where you're going...make any sense?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.