Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,So I suffer from LG along with most of the people on this board, and as you are aware, it really sucks.The reason I am writing this post is to boost awareness of a temporary cure for LG that worked for me, as well as ask some more questions about it.Pepto Bismol worked wonders for getting rid of my LG for the day. I'd say it lasted around 8 hours. While I am aware that this is already known as a temporary treatment, I think I saw Kathleen's post where she recommended this, I don't think enough people know how great this stuff is. It will literally eliminate 95%-100% of all LG. You can even sit on a crowded bus, subway, or movie theater with no problems. It had been many months since I was able to sit right next to people with no sniffs or reactions at all. It seems like it could be amazing for a short-term thing, like a job interview.I have some questions about using this long term though. One, I've heard it can be toxic. How much is too much? Obviously you can't take it every day, but could you get by with 2-3x a week? Two, I used the pink liquid. I think I swallowed one plastic cup (that they give you) of it. The liquid tasted wretched, but the effect was well worth it. Do you get the same effect with the pills/chewable things? They would probably taste better.Seeing the effectiveness of Pepto Bismol has given me hope for a cure. It's like we already have a cure, but it's toxic. Can't someone isolate whatever it is that works for LG and put that into a non-toxic medicine? If so, we are saved.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
People in the odor study took 8 doses a day (8 tablets or whatever amount of liquid that equals) every day for something like 6-8 weeks and didn't have any bismuth toxicity.I use chewable tablets and as bad as my normal fart odor (no leaky gas) can be when I take Iron supplements it only takes one or two to get the odor under control.Usually people who worry about bismuth toxicity recommend occasional drug holidays, not taking it one day than waiting several days to take it again.It is one of those it takes a long time to build up to toxic levels and usually in people that are taking a lot. http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal...=1&SRETRY=0 is a report of toxicity and the guy was downing 8 oz a day (so half a bottle) which I think might be more than the recommended maximum dose.So most of the avoid the toxicity recommendations I see are take it regularly for a month then skip a few days to let your body clear stuff out. There can be toxicity but it is pretty rare as you really gotta work on it for awhile to get there.Unfortunately what seems to work is the bismuth part and bismuth is going to be mildly toxic no matter what you package it with. Devrom is another bismuth compound used for odor but it would have the same issues with bismuth toxicity. I don't know if you can get the odor absorbing with another similar metal and most of those other metals/minerals are more toxic at lower doses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys just wanted to say I took a couple of pepto bismol tablets today and it did nothing to help my leaky gas but I did go to the pub today and I had none of the usual comments, does it get rid of the sensation of lg or just the smell for you guys? I've been keeping a food and bm diary recently and noticed my bms are mostly really sticky when it's happening so I checked (disgusting I know) and there was so much left up there took me about 10 baby wipes to get it all out! So I was hoping it might just be a problem of incomplete evacuation but cleaning myself really makes the sensation of lg and burning much worse for me so I'm kind of back at square one
Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've been keeping a food and bm diary recently and noticed my bms are mostly really sticky when it's happening so I checked (disgusting I know) and there was so much left up there took me about 10 baby wipes to get it all out! So I was hoping it might just be a problem of incomplete evacuation but cleaning myself really makes the sensation of lg and burning much worse for me so I'm kind of back at square one
Any ideas guys?...
My fbo symptoms are also worsened by incomplete evacuation.The nature of our condition produces stools which don't hold together well & tend to stick everywhere rather than sliding out.Trying anything without covering the basics might be a waste of time.Basics include, plenty of water, exercise, relaxation, no drugs & smoking, healthy diet etc.Although not cured Huang Lian (2 tablets three times a day) reduced my symptoms 80%.Stools firmed up & bowel clears most times.What doesn'tt clear is more whole & dry so fbo much lower.I've had no side affects using Huang Lian which can be bought from Chinese Medicine stores.I've been using it for about 3 months now & it's keeping me sane.No cure but symptoms are well down.http://alternativehealing.org/huang_lian.htmhttp://www.orientalpharmacy.com/hulisutak.htmlCosts me about AUD$16 for 5 weeks.We all suffer from different causes.This stuff may or may not help you.It turned my stress levels around & life is now more manageable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.