Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I went out for the afternoon to do some errands.. Iwas OK this AM so I said I would go out...half through our trip I got a horrible cramp in my stomach , the gurgling and knew Iwould be on the toliet all the rest of the day...but what toliet??? we were far from any place to go. i dump my purse to see what I mighthave to take..I found 1/2 of a Xanax pill, God knows how old,,,I did not care, I had no water or anything to take it with, so I put it under my tongue to dissolve..YUK itwas awful and I got nausous for a while...but then I felt OK and we went on with our errands.. does this mean I could have anxiety/stress induced IBS D?? This is first time I ever tried Xanax under my tongue, but at the point I was at I felt like I was going to s#$% my pants right there in someone elses car..I would have died!!The bad thing is no Dr. will give me or anyone else I know a scrip for Xanax other than a one time shot of 30 for 6 months.At this point I would have took poison if it would have stopped it...but as soon as I got home, I was going all afternoon. What is up with this???

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Don't know. Maybe it was stress and once you got home you relaxed enough to go. Or maybe it was the thought that the xanex helped you that stopped the D from coming all at once. I too have these kind of attacks sometimes though and even if I don't take anything it takes hours for the D to actually hit
It could have been the thought that there were no loo's around in the back of your mind that brought it on though. Hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It could mean that your anxiety does aggravate your IBS symptoms.. but I think a majority of the people will find that is part of the viscious cycle. When you dissolved it under your tongue, it got into the bloodstream faster... That's what most anxiety sufferers try to do with their Benzos(like Xanax) when they are having an anxiety attack, as it is "faster acting".. Or at least they feel it is. I think that the Xanax can lessen IBS symptoms, even when they aren't anxiety induced. I take Xanax as a preventative and it works better for me than anything. I found that my general practice doctor and GI weren't too into prescribing Xanax to help with IBS, so I took my concerns up to a psychiatrist.Alas, I have received the pill that has helped the most... XANAX! All it took was going to a psychiatrist, who has no problem at all prescribing this pill.I have actually 2 extra scripts for it just sitting in my drawer, because each time I go(once a month) he wrote out another script for it, I dont' know if its for my convenience or what. I have a bottle of 90 .25mgs and a bottle of 90 .5mgs, both to take 3 times a day. I take one or the other, based upon how I'm feeling.. If i'm feeling worse one day, I'll take a .5mg, better the next .25mg, and sometimes none at all. I went from having a script for 15 for a year with my general practice doctor, 30 for 3 months with my GI, to 90/mnth at 3x/day. I don't take it 3 times a day like I said, I actually haven't taken it in 3 days, but it does ease your mind when you are out, thats for sure.I suggest going this route, because if Xanax really helps you, you might find a psychiatrist the only one willing to prescribe it.. as they seem to be less "anti-benzo".

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You must of read my mind,a week ago I made an appt. with a psyciatrist for my anxiety.. the only thing ,I have lousy insurance and will not able to have too many appts. Ia m glad the Xanax works well for you .. hope I can get enough to last me through my IBS D moments!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know of any psyciatrists that will prescribe xannax as any everyday drug. It is very addictive. But, maybe they just say this to me because I am a college student and they think I'm going to sell them or something. who knows!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Most psychiatrists don't have a problem prescribing them... Why? Only 5% of the people who use them, abuse them. You can become physically dependant, but are diebetics not dependent on insulin?I am also a college student.. and the one I go to has NO PROBLEM at all.. Actually, with another board I visit, anxiety related, most all say they have no problem getting benzos. They just have this stigma, probably because people perpetuate this by referring to it as a "highly-addictive" drug. Anxiety sufferers, by nature, don't have addictive type personalities. I don't have the literature that states this, and don't really care to go back and try to find it.Wayne, C. Jones, M.D. says, "One myth that complicates the use of BNZ by doctors and patients is that they are "highly addictive". The fact is that if they are taken regularly, so that they are always in your system, over time you develop a physical dependence. This means that you have physiologically adapted to the medication, and if you stop it suddenly or go off it too fast you can have withdrawal symptoms. But, physical dependence has nothing to do with addiction. Addiction is compulsive behavior in spite of negative consequences. Most people take medication to feel more normal and to be able to function. Addicts aren't interested in feeling normal. It's either "too boring" or "too stressful" or both. They prefer to be "high" or "numb". The small percent of patients who abuse bnz's are usually wanting to be numb. But this is less than 5% of patients who are prescribed one of these medications. Pain meds, especially hydrocodone types, are 3x more likely to be abused."

·
Registered
46 Posts
silentsufferersuffering-My psychiatrist did not have a problem prescribing me xannex for occasional use. He just didn't think that it was appropriate for everyday use. Xannex definitely helps me out the most, so I was disappointed with this decision.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Most people I've talked to or seen have found no problems finding a psychiatrist to prescribe benzos for everyday use... that is if it works for them.Not saying everyone.The older psychs and doctors in general tend to be less "anti-benzo". My psych looks like he is 75, literally like hes 10 years past retirement.. Which is quite worrying, where will I go after him. ( i don't know how old he actually is, and wouldn't ever ask ) Hopefully, when he does retire, as I'm sure it will be within the next year or two, I'll find another one who will prescribe it to be used, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.