Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about 1 1/2 years now, I've had gas galore. It's pretty much uncontrollable. I've tried even the very strongest gas medications with no luck. My bowel movements have also increased to about 5-7 times per day. I never have problems with C or D, or many of the other syptoms described. Still sound like IBS?I could live with the frequency of bowel movements. Not exactly desirable, but livable. However, my gas problems make being around other people humiliating. If I could at least get that under control, I would be happy.What seem to be the most effective means of gas control? Any suggestions? I'm ready to try about anything.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You could go to a university/teaching hospital and get a lactulose (not lactose) hydrogen breath test for small intestine bacterial overgrowth and an helicobacter pylori blood or breath test. That would be a good place to start. If you read some of the postings by people with a good deal more knowledge, you will also see a number of other tests to consider if the above don't identify your problem.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I've had gas galore
What does galore mean? A lot in volume? How do you know it is a lot? What happens if you don't eat for a few days?------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is normal to fart, and it is normal to fart alot. 20X a day is normal.Probiotics can help some people with gas as what you do is replace the gassy bacteria you have with bacteria that produce less gas, or no gas when they eat the stuff you can't digest.Simethicone helps some people as well.Limiting gas causing foods can help.Limit raffinose (beans and cabbage) lactose (milk) fructose (particularly high fructose corn syrup) and sugar alcohols ( end in -ol and are in sugarless gums and candies and sorbitol is also in apples, pears, peaches, prunes, and apricots.)Limit starches other than rice. Limit alcohol (it mucks up the nerves controlling the gut like it does your mind and can cause diarrhea in some and effect gas in others---more of a keeps it from moving properly so what you have may cause more problems).Exercise can be important. The gas either comes out the back end, or gets absorbed into the blood stream and exhaled (why breath tests can be used). Exercise can help with the absorption, also what you toot out when your walking or jogging, etc won't bother you later. Exercises like T'ai Chi (taijiquan) or yoga that involve twisting the waist can be useful for keeping things moving properly.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm no doctor, but I think 7 times a day is excessive.To me, gas ALWAYS means trapped stool (that's my body). I would avoid eating things that make you "go." I used to be D and knew than absolutely what I couldn't eat.Good luck------------------Charter Counselor of the United Federation of Planets

·
Registered
326 Posts
I too am a gas sufferer. Does not matter what I eat, I still have gas. One of these days I am going to count how many times I fart in a day just to see. I have tried alot of over the counter meds for gas and they don't help at all. I just try to live with it and limit where I go. Otherwise it would be pretty embarrasing. Its horrible, but not much else I can do.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I think 7 times a day is excessive
I think you meant 70.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The average fart frequency in healthy normals is well above 7 a day. Generally most people are in the teens, with a few in the single digits and some in the twenties.Did you mean 70? That would be excessive.gottago have you tried Probiotica, Culturelle or PB8? These probiotics can make a big difference. Most of the OTC gas aids all have the same ingredient simethicone, so it's mostly an either they all work, or they don't as simethicone is the same no matter what brand name label is stuck on the bottle.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 05-22-2001).]

·
Registered
135 Posts
I feel you pain. I too suffer from alot of gas. I've been so depressed because whereever I go I just fart. The gas gets worse when I am under stress. i've tried everything OTC and prescribed. I'm now on Rantidine and Zoloft(antidepresant). it doesn't matter what I eat, I still produce gas.------------------

·
Registered
521 Posts
quote:it doesn't matter what I eat, I still produce gas.
Are you sure? It's unlikely that if you ate something like rice and chicken and water that you'd produce much gas. If you did it's likely from air swallowing, because usually bacteria can't produce much gas from chicken and rice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.