Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the option to email my gastroenterologist and he always responds with a helpful suggestion..but I think I'll save this one for the board mostly to give him a break. Most people on here complain of pain in there left side just below the ribcage. I have been having this a lot lately. It feel like I have a swollen lump under my left ribs and its very tender to touch. Lastnight my husband and I were on the couch and told him about the pain. He is am EMT so he tries to help as much as he can, too. I pressed two fingers into my side and I felt something very lumpy slide over then as odd as this is..it was followed by a deep popping sound in my side...followed by about 2 hours of pain and I couldn't move! This is so crazy! I have had an Upper GI series done, a colonoscopy, bloodwork, stool tests...everything is normal with the usual IBS diagnosis. Okay so...what the heck is this swollen mass in my side? I have recently been sick with a bad bad case of the crud and accompanying tiredness. I've had mono before and when I talked to my mother (a nurse) she said it sounds like my spleen could be swollen and I could have mono. I have not been to a doctor about this crud...because the tests and gastroenterologist bills as of right now are totaling $900 and they still aren't all in yet..I refuse to see another doctor. Seeing a doctor at the hospital I go to is like trying to get in to see a celebrity and you really gotta pay for it just to see them...dadgumit...I'm not made of money. Anyone got any advice?

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
sorry your in pain kelly, i sometimes get pain in this area too, mine goes from left to right..I cant offer you any advice kelly as i have not asked my doc what it is (she will think omg whats wrong with her now?) i get a bit paranoid about this.. i hope someone can offer you some advice, sorry i cant.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hehehe. I often get leary that my doctors are thinking that, too. "Oh my god, what's wrong with her NOW.." but I really could care less what they think because by the numbers on these medical bills I am getting, I am certainly paying them for their services and they have no place to judge. Especially at $310 a visit (as listed on one bill). They can think whatever they want, just as long as they don't let me hear it. I see it like this, I am not a doctor, I didn't go to school to be one and I am thankful that there are people in this world that have the intelligence and patience (and money) that go to school to help others feel better. Where would the world be without doctors? I also know that doesn't make them better than anybody else..lol. Nothing ruins a person more than an having a big head and big ego. I put my pants on one leg at a time just like they do. Yes, they get a much bigger paycheck and certainly deserve it (lol if I had to stare at butts most of the day I'd want a serious paycheck, too). As long as they have patients, they have paychecks. Keep that in mind. If you ever feel like your being treated unfairly (don't be quick to judge though) I'd recommend speaking your mind and then finding someone else to pay instead. My doctor is a very good doc. He is number 3. I never will forget going to the last doc I went to only once...and thats all it took. He wouldn't even look at me. He acted like my father when my father is agitated with me. He would dig the earpiece of his glasses into the corner of his eye with his eyes closed and would ask me questions in a very dull voice. I decided I wasn't going back..he certainly wasn't worth the $$$ I had to dish out. He didn't even have a nurse..lol. He would come out and call the patients from the waiting room...lol. When he had to feel my belly..he had to call one of the ladies from the front desk to stand in the room with him...omg!! I about died!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I can move lumps sometimes, usually just refuse that is slowly moving along. Sometimes it builds in one area, and though painful, it feels like I can move it around a little.What about the pop, though? Could it have been gas? I don't really ever remember hearing popping noises as a reference to gas. By the crud do you mean C? You did certainly seem to **** something off by rubbing it. Personally, if I didn't feel the noise was gas related I'd be more inclined to check it out. Especially if I thought inflammation was prevalent in the area, as that is not a common sign of IBS.I know about the docs, and mostly the hospitals. Can you believe the hospital I had to go to during the hurricane last year A: never billed my insurance company. B: finally sent me a bill like 2 weeks ago and C: referred me to a collection company the same day they billed me.WTF? And then they wonder why I'd rather fight it out at home, then seek the medical attention they say I should have. It seems they gave me tainted mouthwash when I was there, too. I got really sick after the visit, but I have no way to prove why I got so sick, seeing as I already am.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,Kellyintenn,The area you are refering to where you get your pain is called the Splenic Flexure.If the colon does not function properly the Splenic Flexure becmes over inflated and distended and becomes painful.I only know this because over the last three days the area you refer to has been very painful for me.So i looked it up on the net just Googled Splenic Flexure and there was loads of information about it there.I have had pain in that area for some time but it has become severe lateley.My doctor has been treating this pain as a gastric ulcer but i think it is this Splenic Flexure and my ibs.I read on these notice boards about pain in this area being called the Splenic Flexure,There are a few things that can cuase this but with ibs the colon does not perform properly so there is every likelihood it is the ibs causing the Splenic Flexure to become distended and cause pain.The swollen lump you refer to could be the Splenic Flexure becoming over inflated and distended.I am only repeating what i have read about this on the net,perhaps you could look it up yourself or better still ask your doctor about it as i will be asking my doctor about it on my next visit.Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
HI Kelly, I have this allot and did go to the Dr about it in the past. He said your intestine takes a sharp turn there and (if you look at pictures yes it does)gas gets trapped in there. Try taking pepcid Ac for a week and see if that doesn't help. I know sometimes mine was really hurting me.Take careKAt

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THe "popping" sound my hubby and I heard sounded like busting a balloon underwater. You know its weird symptoms like this that makes doctors look at us like we're crazy...lol. Good grief I hate my gut! The pain has really subsided a lot since that night. I drank a Pepsi. I don't know what it is about pepsi but it helps..not alot but it helps. Plus its sooo good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.