Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past few months I have lost 6 lbs. My diet did not change, my stress is the same as it usually is. It started for me about a month ago, I just started getting burning in my stomach, but then it turned into abdominal cramping and terrible gas pains. When I eat, I get full early, and then after I eat, the cramping and gas pains start..like they are just stuck. After I have a BM, sometimes it helps sometimes not.So far I have had blood work, Ultrasound, Abdominal CT scan and waiting on Upper GI.I am desperate as I am scared that so far these tests may have missed something.. does a ct scan help in diagnosing colon cancer? ( I know a colonscopy is better, but I take Xanax for panic and am terrified of the drugs they use)Thanks for listening

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hey! I think a CT scan will only pick up advanced colon cancer as it has to be big enough to see. The colonoscopy can detect it early on so less chance of things having gone too far. I put off my colonoscopy for years cause I was terrified of having it done (I'm talking full panic and D attacks just thinking about it) and it turned out not so bad. Running to the loo so much wasn't fun but it didn't hurt, no tummy pain like I expected and I was knocked out for the procedure so don't remember a thing.I too had lost a lot of weight (about 15kgs) over a couple of months and it wouldn't go back on. Then I got anemic so they sent me off for it. I too don't find that having a bm makes me feel any better. If anything I feel worse most times
Try not to worry about colon cancer. Does it run heavily in your family?

G

·
Oh Susan - I bet it lurks in the back of most of our minds - I'd say steer clear of those horrible sites on the net. For some reason I started surfing about ovarian cancer - every symptoms - yep got that, yep got that - but I think alot of symptoms are just plain old IBS really - and if you are having a colonscopy good for you - I've never been offered one, and I'm such a stress-head about tests (even at the advanced old age of 42 - pathetic isn't it!!) I'd probably refuse anyway.CC is still rare - unless you have a strong family history, I really wouldn't panic.Good luckSue, Manchester

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all very much for you responses and advice.
You made me feel more relaxed. And yes, Suev you are absolutely right, the internet can be terrible.. sometimes too much information is not a good thing. I hear you, I have worried about everything terrible it could be and I do believe that just makes it worse.I do not want a colonoscopy, I am 38 and that is one thing that unless absolutely necessary I would do..I am huge baby.. my hubby would attest to that! Thanks again and I hope you all have a painfree day

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooopps... sorry I did not answer your question, there is no history with colon cancer in my family.. but it has to start somewhere.. I know I am such a worry wart!! My Grandmother was diagnosed with a very rare tumor in her sinuses and my family told me is was so rare there were only 50 documented cases in the United States, no joke.. crazy.. but you know what.. she beat the cancer.. when all odds were agaisnt her, she beat them.. so you never know

G

·
Well power to your granny Susan - its nice to know that the dreaded C can be beaten - all too often folk through terrible and degrading treatments and all for - WHAT - our best man is battling pancreatic/liver cancer and has suffered months of chemo etc etc and operations - you sometimes wonder if it ain't better just to leave well alone - who am I to start offering opinions about something I know nothing about. Anyway, good luck and a very warm welcome to this happy little community.Sue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts