Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for bonniei, Flux and Kath MI am going to see my GP Doc to see if she can order the SIBO test for me. She is my new GP as of a few months. Cant wait for the new GI doc as that appointment is in December. My current GI doc will not do any of these tests when I requested him in March this year.I am just a little confused because when I asked her secretary this morning if they can order the SIBO test she started asking me if I ever had H.Pylori. I thought SIBO is different from H.Pylori and the tests are also different and specific. What specific test should I request for? I would like to get both things tested SIBO and H.Pylori anyway.My appointment is on July 28. I didn't mean to start a new tread but could not find any other thread suitable for asking this question.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
The only thing common between the test for SIBO and H Pylori is they are both breath tests. For SIBOthere are three possible substrates for the breath test-lactulose, glucose and C-D-xylose. The last is the most reliable but your clinic might not offer it.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:and H Pylori is they are both breath tests
There three different noninvasive tests for H. pylori, only one is a breath test. The other two are the serological antibody test and the stool antigen test.This breath test is not related in any way to the breath tests for SIBO. (H. Pylori and SIBO are not related)H. Pylori is very common and SIBO is very rare, so you might have to convince your doctor of the latter, although I personally think every patient with upper GI symptoms should have some test for H. Pylori.The SIBO breath tests require more resources and effort than the others because they aren't as commonly peformed. The least reliable one, the lactulose, is probably the most commonly performed and the most reliable one, the 14C xylose is probably the least commonly. None of these are as reliable as having an aspirate or endoscopy done. An endoscopy could also test for H. Pylori but that of course means you have to have an endoscopy.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since my last test for H.Pylori 5 years ago (and treatment with one week dose of antibiotics) I cannot have the blood test second time due to the antibodies being present. I believe the second time test has to be breath test. Reason I want the test again is I'm thinking maybe the bug was not eradicated completly or could have just come back somehow. Flux I'm also going for an endoscopy on Aug/18 and was not aware that SIBO and H.Pylori could be tested for in the endoscopy. GRRRR I just wish the GI doc had taken the time to explain this in my last visit to him. Now I feel foolish about seeing my GP tomorrow to request these tests via breath test. Should I still ask for the breath test anyway to ensure both results are the same, breath test and the endoscopy?

·
Registered
13 Posts
quote:Originally posted by VJD:My daughter tested positive a while back for H.Pylori... and it was a blood test that confirmed it, not a breath test.
I am a lab tech and you're right there is a serum blood test for H.Pylori. However the blood test isn't used following treatment of H.Pylori because you can get a false positive even if the H.Pylori is gone due to antibodies.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hanna,She did a two week Halidec Therapy treatment along with Prilosec. She is fine now, and has had no symptoms since she completed the therapy, which was about 6 months ago. I hope everything turns out ok for you. Keep us posted.Take careValerie

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: Should I still ask for the breath test anyway to ensure both results are the same, breath test and the endoscopy?
If you are having endoscopy, the other testing seems extraneous.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FluxWhen I asked my gp doc yesterday about the test for SIBO she said she is not aware of such a test. I didn't pursue it with her as I'm having the endoscopy Aug 18. Question for you. In the endoscopy test is it a standard to look for SIBO or only if the doctor suspects it, or is especially looking for it. If the gi doc tells me he does not or will not look for SIBO in my endoscopy test, I honestly will bop him out of the OR.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
SIBO is diagnose with a breath test with Lactulose or Glucose or apparently better with x-Xylose.The only place that i know in Canada is in MTL to get it.You can also buy a test from the Iowa U which i'm in contact with.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TalissaI saw your post in another thread and am interested in your signature that says you have controlled ibs with natural antibacterials. Which products you are taking? I take raw garlic one clove together with Manuka honey. Any help you can give about other natural antibacterials please?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.