Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a colonoscopy, and everything came up normal. Except for hemmoroids. He had to band one.I also just had manometry, electromyography, and endorectal ultra sound.I don't have all the details yet because the doctor is going to write up a letter, but he told me I needed biofeedback.One thing that showed up was an enlarged prostate. He didn't make it sound like this might have an effect on the leaky gas thing, though.Anyone have an opinion on how to make the best of the biofeedback?I tried to make the best of the tests today, but it is kind of hard. The technician asked me to tell her when I felt like I needed to find a restroom, or how I felt on certain occasions, and to be honest, I just felt weird and uncomfortable the whole time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Biofeedback is a breathing exercise. Has to do with stress management. Very calm state of mind. It works. I think IBS is 50% mental. If you learn to controle stress you are alot better off. I tried it but got out because it was a group thing and I am uncomfortable in a group.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
An interesting post. I think it would be a good idea to post your query on the IBS forum too, adp, as there are not too many of us on the Gas forum at the moment.I have not been offered any of the tests you mentioned, so I'll ask my doctor during my next visit about what is available in this part of the world.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
There is biofeedback which helps you relax and then there is that which is targeted specifically for the anal and pelvic floor muscles. If you do a search on my name and Manometry you will find a few threads on it. I'll try to get them.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
In addition to the standard "make your hand warm/cold" biofeedback there is some specific feedback used for pelvic floor issues where instead of putting a probe on your hand for temp, or to measure heart rate (two of the things that I've had done for biofeedback for migraines...as a side effect of that I am very good at relaxing the shoulders in T'ai Chi because of the training..and muscle tension was one of the probes that was used for me)....anyway the biofeedback for pelvic floor issues often involves a probe down there and you learn to be able to control how tight/loose you are down there. It is used both for incontenance...to learn to keep things tight and for constipation type issues where people do not relax the muscles when they try to go to the bathroom. K.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It has been over 20 years since I have adressed this gas problem and I didn't know about this biofeedback called manometry. Going to have to try it, or is only for women? I know my doctor has no knowlege of it. He think you have to have diarea or constipation to have IBS.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
According to this article,every patients with IBS should be proctoscoped CAREFULLY looking for abnormalities,with and without the patient straining.Improvements in IBS following ano-rectal surgery: http://www.bernardpalmer.com/medical/3840402.PDF I have notice that they claims to find more abnormalities when the colonoscopy is done when the patient is NOT on his left side.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bonniei, after reading all of the old posts, it sounds like you might have already been through this. If you have gone through this, any comments would be welcomed.Arnie, my first GI doctor sucked. He prescribed muscle relaxants and told me to eat whatever. I wrote up a one page letter that basically spelled out what we are all going through and faxed it over. He gave up and referred me to a colon and rectal surgeon. It was like day and night between the two.Wildcat0, after reading Kath M.'s link, it sounds like these excersises are for men as well as women. But my first doctor did make me think over the phone that it was just for women after child birth. I am still a little uncomfortable about it.I asked the same question in an earlier post. Anmegirl replied that her therapist's most successful client was a 50 yr old man.The biofeedback recomended is the pelvic floor kind, and not the stress dealing kind.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bonniei, I will post the various pressures as soon as I recieve the results, for comparisons. I hope my doctor is specific.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Anyone who is going throught biofeedback therapy.....did you need a referral to get it. Do you have any idea how much it costs. I have gas incontinence but I am self employed and would have to do this out of my own pocket. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Nelly

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am waiting to see if my insurance will cover it. I don't know cost yet.My new doctor refered me to a lab in the hospital where he does all his procedures.I strongly suspect that I could not get it without the doctor referal, but it seems like I read in old posts that maybe there are independent clinics out there that maybe don't have the whole hospital heirarchy thing going on.And I remember reading about others that have bought their own biofeedback machine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Checked up on the Biofeedback and floor ExerciseThere as been no clear research to prove the effectiveness of biofeedback for men.The floor execises are to build up the pelvic muscles. I have no problem in this area, trying to hold gas back. I could win the Mr Universe compition for this musle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts