Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I do have the problem and agree, working all alone out in a big field is about the only way to not offend someone.
Diet helps lessen the amount of gas but it does not take away (at leaast for me) the smells that others seem to detect when I come around. Excercises are good too, but don't take the offensive part away. I think we do have to accept that it is a chronic problem, but not that someday someone will find a solution. In the mean time hang onto your sense of humor tummy. My newfound faith in God keeps me going. He never leaves us or forsakes us, even when my friends noses do.
joycein

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
quote:If I ever meet the big G I would have a few words to say to him - none of them kind.
Everybody has something in their life, I can think of things that others have that are so much worse. So I thank God that my problems aren't as bad as theirs. I try to remember that I have more good than bad in my lifeI have no idea why more women than men have IBS. But my son has this same thing, and he is uptight about the odor thing too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Joycein, I noticed you put that your son has this problem too. Are you able to smell his LG also? And does he tell you he can't smell it? Was just wondering. Hopefully I won't pass this off to my offspring!!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
quote:Joycein, I noticed you put that your son has this problem too. Are you able to smell his LG also? And does he tell you he can't smell it? Was just wondering. Hopefully I won't pass this off to my offspring!!
I usually don't notice his unless it is like a forced fart. (not the seepy stuff) But the people he works with tell him. He is autistic and they just tell him right out that he stinks. I guess they think people that are a little slow in their thinking don't have feelings
or wouldn't be able to take the hints.
I know they would like to get him off that job but he has been on it 20 years. His gas problem started long after he started working there. One thing is they allow him to drink all the pop (or whatever) that he wants and it is hot where he works so he does drink pop. I have to wonder if all that high fruitose corn syrup had anything to do with the gassy part. Once this stuff starts staying away from the carbs don't really make it all go away. Know what I mean

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think I have had this smelly problem for a long time, and people just didnt say anything, until I started drinking beer.Before I started drinking, I had a surveying job, and I had another job where I was driving around in a truck with another guy all day long.When I called my survey party chief for a reference, he asked me if I wanted to come work with him again, and I got along really well with my coworker on the other job.However, I don't think I have the guts to try driving around with a survey crew now. I was in the truck with the windows up and the air on for at least an hour or two every day.Along those lines, though, you could be a traffic flagger, holding a stop sign all day long. That is something anyone could do until retirement. You just have to find an employer that doesn't make you go to big company meetings.Where I'm at, it pays ok after you have a year or two of experience, and you don't neccesarily have to have experience to get into it. You just have to sit through half a day of training (inside a classroom I think, unfortunately).

·
Registered
20 Posts
semi truck washer (standing with a water sprayer all day, although I think in an enclosed space during cold weather)night janitor, if you can find a one man job and someone who is willing to take a chance on you.framer (outside building houses), except you probably have to spend time in doors getting trained.the only problem is that a lot of jobs are entry level and they want you to move into others jobs that won't work.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
You could explain going into the job that you have a gas problem that no one seems to have an answer too, and that you would like a job where you wouldn't be around others alot. How about a self employed trucker; working for a dairy (or other animal) farmer.
Some people seem to be able to tollerate the smell w/out to much problem, others can't.
Kids have no problem voicing their opinions, so being a teacher wouldn't be my idea a a fun job
, altho we have had some on this board that had this problem and were teachers. I haven't seem them post in a long time tho
. Caring for babies that can't talk, would be safe. Poor baby.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got my job now by going to an employment agency for help.You pay them money, and they take you to interview with employers that they screen potential employees for.I told my boss up front in the interview that I had a gas problem. What a nightmare that was, doing that for the first time. From what I know now, I think I was stinking the whole time.I think he kind of dragged his feet hiring me, but he did eventually.Now we get along just fine, but he wants to promote from within, and move me into a more service oriented job that I won't succeed at.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
quote:uh. dumb qn. i dont think i have that but usually when you try to suppress the escaping of gas, can pple smell it?? esp if yre seated?
Not sure if this was a reply to my post or not, but a lot of us on this board have noticed that the farts we just let go we can smell. The ones we try to suppress or the ones that just seep out unknown to us; others smell but we don't. ODD I know, but that seems to be the way it is. I am sure I get blamed for every fart that is let within 2 miles of me
Still praying for an answer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I heard on the radio the other day that they found a way to get stem cells from ambilical cords.I think we should all start supporting stem cell research, no matter what our particular beliefs.It sounds like this might be the answer to many problems, maybe even ours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It just blows my mind how people live these days.I read that it is normal for people to pass gass 10 to 12 times a day.I heard that my old boss goes to this restaraunt like frequently and orders eggs, bacon, pancakes, with syrup and the like. Then he goes to meetings all day long. I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Starting a business on ebay seems like the best way to make good money without working in an office and pissing people off.If anyone has done this, please reply to this thread and let us know that it is possible.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
quote:The feeling is a general uptight, unsettled feeling in your intestines. But at what stage this becomes LG I'm still not sure. If I had a choice though, I wouldn't be sitting down, I'd be walking, preferably. Joycein's comment (a few posts back) makes sense now, re: the gas that seeps out that we're not aware of -but others are. Maybe it's a psychological thing - we choose not to notice it outselves? That's where the snide comments start making sense, and you wonder how long you've been doing that. I suppose Polly the answer is to walk it off if you can.
OH I think I went for years not really knowing how bad I was. I kept telling myself If I can't smell it they can't either, and I ignored the constant remarks. Been to lots of Doctors and they all wind up telling me to learn to live with it. I tell them. "I can, others can't."
My daughter does computer work out of her home, is there anything like that there for you to do.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Is it possible that our husbands and very close ones are immune to it also??I have has LG in front of my husband many times and he has never said anything. I have farted knowing it and bly does he let me know about it. My question is why doesn't he say anything with LG if he does with my regular farts?? Could he be immune????

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.