Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you heard about the link between hormone levels and IBS? I'm just now discovering this. I'll put a couple links below but its basically saying that testosterone levels might reduce occurance of IBS. That many men who have IBS-D also have low testosterone levels. And that is the reason more women are prone to IBS than men...because many men have normal levels of testosterone and obviously women have estrogen with small amounts of T.

The interesting thing in this is this is true with me. I have horrible IBS-D and constantly am fighting with low testosterone levels. Have any of you other guys with IBS-D been tested for your T levels? Are yours low?

https://www.webmd.com/ibs/qa/how-do-sex-hormones-affect-irritable-bowel-syndrome

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3949254/

· Registered
553 Posts
Yes mine have been low for years. Like REALLY low for a 20-something year old. Around 270.

This page has a chart of normal ranges by age. My total T is less than that of a health 80 year old.
https://www.menshormonalhealth.com/normal-testosterone-levels.html

About 8 years ago (around age 20 when your T should be at its peak and I was trying to figure out my ibs and why i couldnt put on any muscle mass) I went deep into this and got on supplementation. I did both the gel and eventually the injections. I got my testosterone to the healthy range or even the high part of the normal range. I had some short term improvement of symptoms every time i increased the dosage, but unfortunately that effect wore off in about 2 weeks (which is typical for me with meds that help ibs) and i saw no long term reduction of my diarrhea or cramping issues.

I will say it did give me a little more energy but it was more of a jittery energy rather than a smooth energy and since it did not help my ibs I eventually stopped taking it.

Another dr told me that when your sleep is poor, the first thing the body stops producing is testosterone because it is more of a non-essential than many other hormones. And my sleep has always been awful due to cramping at night time with my ibs so i would guess that is a major factor to my low testosterone.

Unfortunately our sedentary lifestyles and estrogen-ridden foods also can contribute to lower testosterone.

I believe my ibs causes my low testosterone more than the other way around but maybe it is something to look into for you.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes mine have been low for years. Like REALLY low for a 20-something year old. Around 270.

This page has a chart of normal ranges by age. My total T is less than that of a health 80 year old.
https://www.menshormonalhealth.com/normal-testosterone-levels.html

About 8 years ago (around age 20 when your T should be at its peak and I was trying to figure out my ibs and why i couldnt put on any muscle mass) I went deep into this and got on supplementation. I did both the gel and eventually the injections. I got my testosterone to the healthy range or even the high part of the normal range. I had some short term improvement of symptoms every time i increased the dosage, but unfortunately that effect wore off in about 2 weeks (which is typical for me with meds that help ibs) and i saw no long term reduction of my diarrhea or cramping issues.

I will say it did give me a little more energy but it was more of a jittery energy rather than a smooth energy and since it did not help my ibs I eventually stopped taking it.

Another dr told me that when your sleep is poor, the first thing the body stops producing is testosterone because it is more of a non-essential than many other hormones. And my sleep has always been awful due to cramping at night time with my ibs so i would guess that is a major factor to my low testosterone.

Unfortunately our sedentary lifestyles and estrogen-ridden foods also can contribute to lower testosterone.

I believe my ibs causes my low testosterone more than the other way around but maybe it is something to look into for you.
Yea..its hard to decipher whether the low T causes or is a symptom of IBS. I've thought of going on the gel or something but my levels are borderline on everything. But that link you supplied shows the averages to be way higher than my lab result that state a "normal" range. Maybe its something to explore or try out at least. But like you...I take a new drug it might help for a week or two until my body figures out I'm tricking it and back to diarrhea again. Its awful.

· Registered
1 Posts
Many women and men face IBS due to low testosterone levels. I am one of these people. Or rather, I was. I have been facing this problem for several years. I went to all the doctors in my town to adjust my testosterone level so that I would no longer have problems with my digestive system. In my case, the doctors didn't help me much. It helped me raise my level by only a few percent. What helped me a lot was getting testosterone boosters from Healthcanal. The result began to be visible very quickly by the way I felt. I recommend it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts