Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,This is my first time on the bulletin. My boyfired discovered the website 2 days ago and I have been reading eveer since. It is great to know that there are so many people dealing with IBS and how they deal with it. So thank you to all of you.I am getting married in 12 weeks and then off to Thailand for the honneymoon, more specifically Phuket and Phi Phi Island.I was diagnosed with IBS -D 3 years ago, suffer from pain in left adonminin and D mainly in the mornings, but it can occur at anytime. Have managed to control panic attacks through just doing things facing the fear. Still occur now and then but much better now.Main concern is the boat trip to Phi Phi Island it is 1.5 hours and it is in the morning. My worst time. I am hoping that anyone out there might know if there are toilets on the boat. It is a 200 seat catermeran so I thought their might be but would still like to know.Also have any of you travelled and how do yo cope with it. I went to Bali two years ago and basically lived from toilet to toilet on Immodium, but am finding it less effective. I don't use immodium much I try to get by without it. Drinking huge amounts of water helps, but this may not work overseas as I would still be running to the toilt all the time.Appreciate any advice.ThanksTrine

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi Trine,Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! It sounds like it will be a great honeymoon vacation!Why don't you call your travel agent and ask her about the boat? If she has no idea, she may be able to give you at least the name of the boat or the boat company and you might be able to find them on the internet. Here is a Thailand tourism Web site. You might find the info there, or at least someone to e-mail for more info. http://www.tourismthailand.org/ Hope this helps
Fiona

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fiona,have asked quite a few travel agents, allnot very helpful.But I will definatly check out the websitethanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trine,I have been to Thailand several times when we lived in Asia. It was a challange with IBS - something about the heat and the worry about finding a bathroom!!! I would go armed with Imodium. If you can get it I would also take Lomotil - I lived on it over there. You can buy it over the counter. Be very careful with the water - only drink from bottled water and ones that the caps are still sealed!!! Food was always an issue when I was there because I am very sensitive to spicey. No matter how many times I asked for not too hot, it was too hot. But you can live on the Thai rice - it is wonderful. When my husband worked during the day I would travel alone - bathrooms were an issue but I pretty much stayed on Lomitol for those days that I was going to out and about.You need to ask about bathroom on the boat. We traveled on a boat up the Lee river in China and I panicked when I thought that there was not a bathroom on board. What you will discover is that it may not meet our standards but it will do. Make sure that you travel with enough Kleenex, etc. This is never up to our standards. I would also travel with baby wipes, change of underwear, plastic bag that closes, hand wipes, and bottle water. And don't be embarrassed to ask someone for some help if you can't find a restroom - we are more uptight about this bodily function than other cultures. One time in Africa my IBS kicked in so bad that I was not sure I could make it back to the hotel. They had facilities in the town we were in, but they said that I would not like using them. At this point I could have cared less. I ended up squatting over this trench in the ground and next to me was this guy in a loin cloth doing whatever. This is why you take alone baby wipes. A few days of this and you don't even think twice about shared bathrooms - I was just thankful that it was not a bush.You will have a great time. My IBS is worse after eating so I planned aound that being my "stay close to my room" time. Let me know how things went - take lots of pictures..........Ann

·
Registered
650 Posts
Congratulations! I would'nt count on a toilet on the "boat" unless its a cruise ship. I'm a travel agent and just got back from Thailand and Laos. Its 2 days at 8 hrs a day down the Mekong and guess what? NO toilet. We just pulled up and found a dune. Eat sticky rice. That should help. Thailand is a WONDERFUL destination. Try not to stress. The people are wonderful and the service is the best in the world as far as I'm concerned. ENJOY! Ask your doctor for Lomotil if you are really worried, but this stuff is bad news. Could plug you up but good. Let me know how you liked your trip.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Trine,welcome to the board! and congratulations on your wedding! sounds like a fabby idea for a honeymoon!
I have many similar worries to you! I am qutting my job in two weeks and taking off round the world with my boyfriend on the 22nd November!eek!we are flying to singapore and then travelling up to china overland through Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam - then popping to Japan to visit a friend of mine and then flying from Hong Kong to Perth and then to Sydney! We have a working visa to work in Australia for a year! Something of an adventure!!! It is something i have always wanted to do and decided that i am not going to let IBS stop me! Although having said that i am pretty terrified!!! Everytime i have a bad episode here which is quite a lot at the mo! i think - oh god! what am i doing!!!??I went to Africa for 3 months when a healthy young thing and hated the long drops then and lack of proper loo! and now that i have ibs i am really terrified! But i am gonna just try and make the most of the good times! and eat lots of rice and hope i will be ok! Just wanted you to know that you are not alone in your worries and don't let ibs stop you having a great honeymoon and lots of fun! I hope you have a great time.Lots of good advice here. I am definitely putting babywipes on my packing list!!e-mail me if you want to chat!also anyone with any tips on any of these countries let me know!!! take care!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your advice, I'm feeling much better about the trip and am really looking forward to it.Enja, I'm from Australia and the toilets here are very good. In every town there are public toilets and on most highways when there are long trips between towns there are public toilets. But I would still pack the baby wipes and tissues incase you plan to go the the Northern Territory. I've never been to perth but hear it is fantastic. You'll love it. What time of year are you heading over?Thanks for all your adviceTrine

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi Trine,If you're taking the catamaran, there should be not only one but a few toilets on board. So you don't have to worry a thing
I am from Singapore, and I've been to Phuket a couple of times myself! Intend to go to Bali this year...<< SiMoN >>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts