Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rio, Just wanted to thank you for the information on where to get my Naltrexone at a compounding pharmacy! I was going to have to call around see where I could get this done and this place is only a couple of miles from my house. I hope this stuff works. Thanks Again!SigKnee

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
SigKnee:Glad that I could help. I hope that it works. I'm going to be doing some reading on this. I have IBS-C and am extremely medicine-sensitive so will have to check this out very carefully.Good luck.Take care.Renee'

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I brought my prescription to the compounding pharmacy on Monday. They said it won't be ready for about 8 days since they are backlogged. I did show all the information I could gather on the study they did to my doctor and my regular pharmacist. He read the part on the low dosage naltrexone homepage and he read the therapeutic dosage range for LDN is from 1.75 to 4.5 every night that dosages below this range are likey to have no effect at all.So, he decided on the 1.75mg. Maybe I will half it at first, I don't want to take too much. He doesn't seem very knowledgable about IBS but since I have suffered so many years he said it's worth a try.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi. Forgive me if I've missed some of the messages in the past, but I'm not sure why so few people are willing to take the dosage of naltrexone (0.5 mg.) that was used successfully in the IBS study.I keep seeing messages from people who are taking much more than what was found to help improve IBS symtoms. In some cases, people are taking 3, 4 even 5 times or more the recommended dose.Brad

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
I think there is a human tendency to think that if a little helps a lot will help more and with naltrexone for ibs it seems like the key may be a very little for a long time before it does anything. People also are confusing naltrexone's other uses and there is not a lot of good information out yet, even for doctors. Bada

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my prescription yesterday. The originally said it would take longer. I took my first one last night 1.75mg and it did not affect me in any way. The pharmacist told me it is an opiate that works on the stomach to reduce pain. I should know if it is working in about 2 weeks. Will keep you updated as I go along the month.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi everyone! I am real interested in the LDN & have the print out of the Pain Therapeutics site.I have not been here lately & wondered if this information you are talking about was new in addition to this study? I gave a copy to my gastro the other day at work & he left it there! Figures. I had a bad attack after I ate lunch (still not convinced that part of my problems are not related to my gall bladder now but...tests do not show anything!) Anyway. He wanted me to take a nitro after I told him I had taken my Librax that am, then 2 Levsin's like 10 min apart & was in agony & it had been going on for quite a while. He thought it might be Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction that is why the nitro. I could not function at work with a sick pt to try & take care of. Got a replacement quickly Thank God for friendly, understanding co-workers!!!! This was not a good thing though. Ended up I had to go to ER & get the nitro, only gave me 1 spray so I do not know if that would have done the trick anyway. Also Bentyl IM;I think & Demerol & Phenergan IV. I went home drugged up & feeling like ####, climbed in my bathtub which does give me some relief.(relaxing????release of endorphins???have found that an orgasm can help but only for so long..while those extra little endorphins are running around!) In & out of the tub all night & most of the next day. Is really getting tiring.You all may think I am nuts after reading this but I have had this since I was a teeager, different pains sometimes, some much worse then others & what I found helped relieve me for just a while was to have a little orgasm. No I am not a nympho maniac or anything. I did not even know what I was doing when I first discovered it helped.Fell onto the bed in a pile of clothes that had a hump in just that certain place. Pretty nuts huh! I have always told my hubby if they bottled up endorphins & gave them to me I would be ok It does make sense with this study though doesn't it??? It has always been the best pain killer for me ..a release of endorphins.It is hard to believe that I am actually posting this I have really been ashamed of it for years.Did tell 1 Dr. Oh.. maybe even a couple years ago; he just said well it shuts down the gut so here have a narcotic! He seemed to believe me,but I knew nothing of this LDN then. Well I have said it all...If this helps doesn't it prove that I am not nuts!I hope my post has not offended anyone. It is just the truth!

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
branchin, Thank you for posting. You'll find your experiences are shared by many. I would caution you though to look at the original research on naltrexone specifically for IBS. I think it's still in the research forum. Maybe even share it withh your doctor. The research is new and he might not have seen it yet.Bada

·
Registered
83 Posts
For those who are taking Naltrexone, I have a question, today I recieved my Naltrexone, it is in a 50 mg tablet, how does one go about getting it to a .05 dose? I read somewhere on the board about mashing it up and using distilled water (can't remember exactly), are you taking it on a empty stomach?, with food?, morning or evenings?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.