Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new to this board. I stumbled upon it through and internt search and boy am I grateful. I have suffered with IBS for about 13 years now. I was always nauseated, crampy and constipated. My physican diagnosed me and handed me a prescription for Donnatal. I never took the medication and lived with my problem. At one time, I suffered from severe diarrhea and after about 1 year of suffering, I went to a GI physician. Believe it or not, I was found to have chronic samonella poisoning which was sucessfully treated with antibiotics. Unfortunately since that episode ( 8 years ago), I have been unable to rid myself of the diarrhea. I underwent further testing and was told that it was just my IBS acting up. Pregnancy and menstruation have been nightmares for me. I now have 2 young children and it is difficult to go anywhere knowing that I will probably have to find a public toilet and drag 2 kids out of the car ( it helps that my oldest is alomst 3 and I use his potty training as an excuse to use most of the restrooms--less embarassment for me!)I am sorry to ramble, but I just want to thank all of you who post on here. I am just reading bits and pieces, but all of what I am reading is encouraging and helpful. There are people out there who understand me!! I have limited time online , but I will try and keep up with what I am reading. Thank you all so much!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi Mom - I know how you feel. I was thrilled when I found this board. I thought I was the only one in the world with these problems! It's nice to have a place to be able to share with others who know exactly what you are going through! Welcome and good luck to you.

G

·
Hi Moms and everyone else outthere. I just found this site too and I Thank God for it! I too, thought I was the only one with these embarrassing symptons and I'm about at the end of my rope. I have been living (if that's living) with IBS for 22 years. I am so tired of fighting it that I had just about given up, but this website has given me new hope. Thank You all for sharing your stories and info.

G

·
Hi mom2boyz, Welcome to the BB. I was diagnosed last March 8th (very memorable day). Since all the GI did was throw a high fiber diet at me this BB has been a true blessing. While I'm not normal I have improved an incredible amount and don't live in constant fear of going out. I went to the grocery store last weekend and was home before I realized I didn't have to think about my colon! Sounds silly but it was a major milestone for me! I only shop where there are bathrooms but I still hate having to stop, run in and resume my shopping. Good luck! Jackie

·
Registered
675 Posts
HI!Welcome aboard the board! My sons are grown now, but I can well sympathize with your problems. My only advice is this: Don't hide the IBS from your kids. They will be a wellspring of strength and help as they grow up. It will also make them compassionate adults. My kids have seen me have accidents,know I went to work discouraged and sick, etc. As they got their drivers licenses they were able to take me for ugly medical tests. Even before they had their licenses, I would drop them off at the supermarket and they'd shop for me when I was in a bad way. I was a single mom, could you tell????Anyway, don't sell your kids short, honey.Good luck!!love to all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts