Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I can't find the article for the person's name, but someone posted a long message about calcium carbonate for IBS-D as a suggestion to help the urgent toilet runs especially in the morning as the excess not absorbed soaks up the excess water in the bowel.I got the ones that were recommended last night for my boyfriend and he took one last night and this morning he was so pleased it had had an effect. Only 3 trips this morning rather than 6 to the toilet and each one more of a 'normal' BM than the ever before in 2 years. He is going to monitor it and might up the tablets to get the right balance. So good to see him smile and be confident going to work. He has missed a few days over the last 2 weeks with his stomach being so painful from the IBS-D attacks each morning. Peppermint tea also helps him - when really bad he takens Copermin. Also StJohn's wort is helping as this has anti-depressant qualities. I read somewhere else the anti-depressants help to minimise the producing of water in the bowel as a result of 'nervous' or stress/panic tummy it also is keeping him feeling more positive and calm about everything which certainly helps. He is going to try the Audio 100 cd's - I heard a bit of one on the website and I hope it will help him to relax, feel confident that the changes that the calcium are making he can trust and won't get stressed cause the routine he can rely on is not happening anymore ie, for the last 2 years getting up at 6.45am to go to the toilet enough times that he is sooo sure he can't go anymore and then go to work at 8.30am. It is such a viscious cycle!!! He has also found that cutting out beer altogether and fish and chips is just way to fatty for his system to handle. He is a naturally thin person and could normally eat anything he likes. We have switched to Organic and whole foods where possible and this is certainly not hindering - if it is not helping although we believe it is.I suppose he should be the one joining the discussion groups etc, but he finds it hard as he says he spends enough time dealing with it that he wants to forget about it when he can. So I hope you guys don't mind me logging in. It is really hard for me too sometimes.Really just wanted to say thanks - you've all really helped. I've read other articles that have helped me to understand how things are for him - he doesn't always tell me everything but I know when he isn't doing well but not sure why or what he is thinking.Take care everyone. Rebecca

·
Registered
709 Posts
wow rebecca, your boyfriend is some lucky to have you! i think it's really great that you are being so supportive...something i've had no luck in finding (and i'm sure many here would agree--support from family and friends is often lacking...).i hope he continues to feel better!

·
Registered
709 Posts
wow rebecca, your boyfriend is some lucky to have you! i think it's really great that you are being so supportive...something i've had no luck in finding (and i'm sure many here would agree--support from family and friends is often lacking...).i hope he continues to feel better!

·
Registered
133 Posts
honey I also found out that calcium can help. I have been on it for a month now. So far i go a lot less often and even have "normal" times. I also cut out some foods that are trigger foods. It is great that you help like you do. Sometimes it is hard to deal with and he needs your support as you are doing.Good luck

·
Registered
133 Posts
honey I also found out that calcium can help. I have been on it for a month now. So far i go a lot less often and even have "normal" times. I also cut out some foods that are trigger foods. It is great that you help like you do. Sometimes it is hard to deal with and he needs your support as you are doing.Good luck

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I am here, still, if anyone needs a little extra help in working out a calcium dose that may help them. Just email me if you like. I still get good results and in July it will be 6 years of success.There are, of course, some variables that my make a difference. If you take other meds for other problem side effects. Timing of the dose and amount that may work best for you. Getting the right form of calcium and keeping a watch that you don't get too much magnesium that only adds to the diarrhea.Linda

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I am here, still, if anyone needs a little extra help in working out a calcium dose that may help them. Just email me if you like. I still get good results and in July it will be 6 years of success.There are, of course, some variables that my make a difference. If you take other meds for other problem side effects. Timing of the dose and amount that may work best for you. Getting the right form of calcium and keeping a watch that you don't get too much magnesium that only adds to the diarrhea.Linda

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.