Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:I posted a similar message but I don't think it ever transmitted. I'm kind of worried about Thanksgiving. I absolutely love to eat and cook and have been doing well on Heather's diet. I definitely want to splurge on Turkey day but don't want to pay for it later. Are you all going to try to go low fat on Turkey day and all that? Maybe I should just take some Immodium beforehand? Last weekend I was stuck at my daughter's volleyball tourney for two days with nothing else available except junk food. I popped a couple of Immodium before I ate and I did ok. I'd love to hear some suggestions.Leslie

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hi leslie204,As you probably know, we celebrate Thanksgiving earlier in Canada.But Christmas is coming up quickly, too.I am looking at a similar problem.My extended family wants to meet up at a hotle restaurant to have the Christmas Buffet dinner.The last time we went, the access to the washrooms was difficult.The washrooms are up a flight of staire, down a long hallway, and around the corner, and even then, probably insufficient in number for the crowds.The food is potentially scarey, because I have IBS D with GERD and MSG sensitivity.There are long lineups at various points to get food, because it is a cafeteria/buffet tyoe of food service.I think I would do okay with white bread dinner roles and a few slices of white meat turkey.Maybe some steamed carrots?I have experiemented wih Immodium in the past, but in order for it to work, I have to take a fair bit more than the recommended dose, and then I really suffer for that later.My doctor doesn't want tme to do that, either.So what do I do?I guess the only thing is to look at this as an opportunity for the extended family to get together, and try to appreciate it as a social function.Maybe I will eat some "safe food" before I leave the house to go.I already tried to suggest that we have it at somebody's home; my Mother's place is central for all of us, and has 2 washrooms.Then I could bring some food that was okay for me and everyone else.However, it seems that everyone wants to go out for the dinner, so I am stuck with coping with it or just staying home by myself on Christmas.Take care . . . from Lexi

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hi Leslie,I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner so I'll know what goes into the food. I'll use soy milk in the potatoes. I've already done this for my family and no one noticed they were different! I'll use soy milk in the pumpkin pie too! Turkey is ok, just some white meat. I'll have a vegetable casserole with all the goo in it, but I'll also have some fresh steamed veggies too. I think a turkey dinner can be very healthy. I make my stuffing w/o all the butter so it'll be low in fat. Cranberries are good for you too. I sweeten them with orange juice and honey. Are you cooking, or will you have to guess what's in someone else's dishes?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dear Gret and Lexi:Thanks for your reply. Lexi, sounds like it's not going to be easy. However, if you are at a restaurant with a variety of foods on the buffet, it sounds like you may be able to find something that is soothing. Maybe eat tons of saltines along with your dinner? Yes, we are just going to do a simple Thanksgiving at home with myself, my husband and two children. So, I can TOTALLY control what goes in. Great idea on the soy milk! But how about the stuffing? Does it still taste ok to everyone else without the butter? Hope everyone is doing well today!Leslie

·
Registered
510 Posts
Leslie,Yes, I think the stuffing is fine w/o the butter. I have used some flavorful olive oil instead and use more sage! Not one person in my family has noticed the changes I've made. They seem appreciative of my efforts all the time!Lexi,Hope the buffet thing works out. I have to go to a staff lunch for our Christmas gathering. They always want to go to an Amish place way out in the boonies. They serve the same thing every year! It's loaded with fat and dairy, no doubt about it. I'll eat something before I go and keep my fingers crossed. I'll have two rehearsals to direct that evening so I'll have to be good!

·
Registered
510 Posts
One more thing about turkey day! I never buy Butterball turkey because they inject so much shortening (and who knows what else!) under the skin. One year I had no choice but to buy one and it took me so long to scrape all that stuff out of there! So I buy a store brand, no frills turkey and marinate it overnight in one of those big roasting bags with lemon juice, olive oil, seasonings, etc. Then I rub some olive oil under the skin of the breast right before roasting. It's very moist and I know what's in it!!!Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, that's a good point about the Turkey. We have a local meat and seafood store here that sells organic, hormone-free Turkeys.. I better pick one up. Glad to hear I can do stuffing without the butter. I'm going to try to go as low fat and soluble-fiber as possible. I don't think my creamed spinach tho could ever be the same. How would I substitute bacon and heavy whipping cream?Leslie

·
Registered
459 Posts
Leslie,I have substituted chicken broth for part of the fat in stuffing, and it had turned out well.As for the buffet/cafeteria Christmas dinner, I am still pondering it.Part of the problem is the inconvenience of the washroom facilities.Since I have IBS D with GERD (and MSG sensitivity) it might be best to avoid the whole thing, and just socialize with family on another day.Take care . . . from Lexi

·
Registered
34,955 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys!I have not looked at the recipes yet but I will definitely browse and decide what to do. Last night I served a vegetarian chile with tofu (I winged the recipe) that the family loved and they couldn't tell there wasn't any meat in it!Leslie

·
Registered
459 Posts
leslie,I have served vegetarian chile, cornbread and a big mixed salad to meat-eaters and they have loved it!Since I use 3 kinds of beans in it, I don't use tofu.The 3 kinds are pinto, chili, and red kidney beans.I make the cornbread in a cast iron frying pan.I was a vegetarian for 7 years, and ate eggs and dairy at that time.I discovered that there are lots of meals you can serve to a family that are well-accepted.Now that I am trying Heather's diet, I hope to be able to adapt my own recipes to the new eating plan.Take care . . . from Lexi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.